UN-Habitat Cabo Verde works with the Government, local authorities and civil society in general through programs and projects registered under the United Nations cooperation program to promote the inclusion of the new urbanization agenda in the development of the country; cooperate in the formulation of policies and strategies as well as sensitize the population to urban resilience and citizenship and implements the PSUP III.
Currently, it is estimated that 68% of the country’s population live in the urban environment. The rate of population growth has reached its peak between 1995 and 2005, with 3.49%; in the following decade, there was an increase of 1.88% of annual average. It is estimated that, in 2030, 73% of the country’s population will be urban. These large urban centers are mostly informal neighborhoods without urban facilities, with precarious residences, dominated by unfinished construction of cement blocks, occupation of unstable slopes and riverbeds.
Urban Population (2018): 65.7%
Urban Growth Rate (2015-2020): 1.97%
Donors and partners
For an impactful performance from the point of view of results, UN-Habitat Cape Verde depends on successful partnerships, especially with national government and local authorities. UN-Habitat identifies and mobilizes several local partners who can contribute to promote the inclusion of the new urban agenda in the development of the country, such as the private sector and academia. In addition, UN-Habitat guarantees the participation of communities and civil society in the decision-making process
- Total value of UN-Habitat investments (2008-2015): US$ 396,860
- Total number of UN-Habitat projects (2008-2015): 3 projects
- Main donors: One UN Fund & Cape Verde
- Implementing partners: Ministere de la decentralisation, de l'habitat, et de l'amenagement du territore, Municipalites de Praia, Sal et Santa Cruz, MAHOT Association of Municipalities of Cape Verde, National Association of Architects
Major cities: Mindelo, São Filipe, Assomada, Espargos,
- Population: 494,400
- GDP: US$1.827 Billion
- GDP growth: 2.5%
- Urban population (annual %): 63%
- Population growth rate (average annual %): 0.8%
- Urban population growth rate (average annual %): 2.0%
- Rural population growth rate (average annual %): -1.2%
Source: World Bank 2012
UN-Habitat projects in Cape Verde
Cape Verde Local Urban Development Programme (One UN programme)
To strengthen local authorities' capacities to promote local democracy, urban security and safety and local economic development.
- Duration: July 2009 to December 2012
- Value: US$ 211,860
- Donor: One UN Fund
- Implementing partners: Ministere de la Decentralisation, de l'Habitat, et de l'Amenagement du Territore, Municipalites de Praia, Sal et Santa Cruz
Supporting the Implementation of the National Programme for Urban Development and Economic Empowerment Cities - Cape Verde
The objective of this project is to support the implementation of the National Programme for Urban Development and Empowerment of Cities (NPUDEC) in Cape Verde through specialized technical assistance, resource mobilization and advocacy. In this sense, the project expects to provide the MAHOT with effective tools for starting the implementation of the NPUDEC and collaborate with the government and cooperation partners in mobilizing and establishing proper financing mechanisms of the NPUDEC.
- Duration: November 2013 to October 2014
- Value: US$ 50,000
- Donor: Cape Verde
- Implementing partners: MAHOT, Association of Municipalities of Cape Verde, National Association of Architects
- Location: all the municipalities of Cape Verde
Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme
The Programme aims to strengthen community, city and national key stakeholders’ capacities in participatory slum upgrading in the Republic of Cape Verde, particularly in the selected cities of Praia, Pedra Badejo and Espargos, thus adding value to the development of policy, institutional, legislative, and financial frameworks.
- Duration: 2008 – December 2015
- Donor: European Commission and, the Africa, Caribbean and Pacific Secretariat
- Implementing partners: UN – Habitat and the Ministry of Environment, Housing and Territorial Planning
- Location: Cities of Praia, Pedra Badejo and Espargos