UN-Habitat supports Arab countries in their efforts to advance sustainable urbanization as a driver of development and peace. UN-Habitat Regional Office for Arab States provides knowledge, policy advice, technical assistance and collaborative action for eighteen countries across the Arab region and is currently present in thirteen Arab countries, supporting partners through a diversified portfolio of more than USD 290 million, centering around the four main pillars of action of the 2020-2025 Strategic Plan.
- Many Arab countries face conflict and protracted crisis with major IDP and refugee influx to cities. Conflict also resulted in major destruction of shelter and basic infrastructure and services; as well as breakdown of local governance systems.
- Urban Economic performance: the limited diversification of local Arab economies; shortage of job opportunities, especially for youth; scarcity of small-scale credits and lack of affordable housing; accompanied with a growth in the informal economic sector, and rapid expansion of informal spatial development.
- Weak land and urban planning resulting in non-regulated urban expansion using outdated and poorly regulated planning approaches causing spatial segregation, and growth in informal settlements.
- Social trends characterized by poverty, and inequality, especially in cities; coupled with marginalization of youth and women, and other social roups.
- Climate Change impacts causing droughts, desertification, and water scarcity in some countries as well as rising sea levels in others.
News and Stories
“Standing today in the garden that each element of it is inspired by our designs, I can say that this unique initiative promoted our (youth) interest and willingness to engage in community service and any other forms of public engagement, and this garden is a great evidence that we are ready to work hand by hand with the municipalities and local organizations to improve our built environment”
Female community representative during the inauguration of Al-Shaima public space – Beit Lahia
Donors and partners
UN-Habitat relies on partnerships to develop and implement work at the regional, national and local levels. The League of Arab States is the main regional partner for UN-Habitat in the region where our collaboration on the Arab Strategy for Housing and Sustainable Urban Development 2030 guides urban development in the region. UN-Habitat leads an extensive network of partnerships with regional UN agencies, IGOs and NGOs to ensure complementarity and synergy in the field of sustainable urban development. It also reaches out to a diversified network of global and regional donors to increase resource mobilization at the regional and country levels. In addition, strong country presence in the region ensures that we collaborate with national and local authorities to advance sustainable urban development at the Arab region.