- Total value of UN-Habitat investments (2008-2013): US$ 869,370
- Total number of UN-Habitat projects (2008-2013): 7 projects
- Main donors: The main donors to UN-HABITAT’s projects in the Philippines are Multi Donor Group Fund – Spain, Asian Development Bank (ADB), Instituto de Promocion y Apoyo al Desarrollo (IPADE), Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), Saggitarius Mines, Inc. and BASF Social Foundation.
- Implementing partners: The main UN-HABITAT partners for project execution in the Philippines are local government agencies such as the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG), National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), local NGOs, Action Groups. The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) has also been a partner.
UN-Habitat has been working in the Philippines on post-disaster (Typhoon Ketsana) reconstruction and rehabilitation as well as on other urban issues like capacity building, slum prevention/upgrading and water/sanitation services.
Major cities: Major Philippine cities are Manila City, Quezon City, Budta, Davao, Malingao, Cebu City, General Santos, Taguig, Pasig, Antipolo.
- Population: 96.71 million
- GDP US$: 250.2 billion
- GDP growth rate at constant 2005 prices (annual %): 3.7%
- Urban population: 49.1%
- Population growth rate (average annual %): 1.7%
- Urban population growth rate (average annual %): 2.2%
- Rural population growth rate (average annual %): 1.2%
Source: World Bank 2012 and UN-data 2013
UN-Habitat projects in the Philippines
Family-Based Actions for Children and their Environs in the Slums (FACES)
- Duration: May 2008 - December 2008
- Value: US$ 40,000
- Donor: Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG)
Strengthening Philippine City Capacities to Address Climate Change Impacts
In this project, UN-Habitat showcases a climate change resilient human settlements in Sorsogon City. Sharing of knowledge and good practices/learnings on climate change mitigation and adaptation will also be the primary focus of this project to build the foundation for increasing Philippine City capacities in addressing climate change impacts.
- Duration: January 2009 - December 2012
- Value: US$ 550,000
- Donor: Multi Donor Group Fund (MDGF)
- Implementing partners: National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Joint Country Programme on Water and Sanitation in the Philippines
The overarching development goal of this UN-Habitat and IPADE Joint Country Programme on water and sanitation is to realize sustainable human settlements development in selected rural/small town ecologically sensitive zones through improved local capacities to develop and implement programmes and projects on improving access to clean water, basic sanitation and solid waste management.
- Duration: June 2009 - December 2010
- Value: US$ 88,647
- Donor: Instituto de Promocion y Apoyo al Desarrollo (IPADE)
- Implementing partners: ALTERDEV Services Foundation, Artists' Quarters (AQ), Center for Empowerment and Resource Development (CERD), Institute for Social Order (ISO), Coastal CORE
Transitory Shelter Project for the Affected Families of Typhoon Ketsana
This project seeks to alleviate the living conditions of 30 families in Bagong Silangan, Quezon City who are some of the many families who are adversely affected by the flooding caused by Typhoon Ketsana. The assistance will consist of provision of transitory housing while they plan and negotiate with the village and city governments and other stakeholders for a permanent and sustainable solution to their land tenure and housing problems.
- Duration: November 2009 - December 2010
- Value: US$ 20,833
- Donor: Sagittarius Mines, Inc.
- Implementing partners: Homeless People's Federation of the Philippines
Permanent Shelter Project for the Affected Families of Typhoon Ketsana
This project is located in Manila. This project seeks to alleviate the living conditions of 28 families in Barangay Bagong Silangan, Quezon City, who are some of the many families adversely affected by the flooding caused by Typhoon Ketsana. The assistance will consist of provision of permanent housing and livelihoods/skills training for 28 families who are to be resettled in the existing 3 hectare resettlement site owned by the municipality of Rodriguez, Rizal under a usufruct agreement.
- Duration: June 2010 - October 2010
- Value: US$ 36,630
- Donor: BASF Social Foundation
Building Normative/Operational Coordination Arrangements in the Asia/Pacific Region
This project is located in Bangladesh, Indonesia, Philippines and Fiji. ROAP's ENOF was designed to facilitate regular dissemination of global norms and frameworks to regional/country partners and, through enhanced knowledge management arrangements to capture operational good practices and ensure these are shared locally, nationally, regionally and globally.
This project is the first of 5 projects implemented to fulfill ROAP's ENOF, and will enable ROAP and its country/regional partners to benefit from knowledge and expertise available from key Headquarter Branches and Global/Inter-Regional Programmes, through ROAP coordinated missions to Bangladesh, Indonesia, the Philippines and the Pacific.
Branch staff travel to the selected countries (through a maximum of 2 missions each) to share global norms and programmatic support opportunities with national partners in support of HABITAT Programme Manager (HPM) efforts to mainstream sustainable urbanization norms and practices into UNDAF's and One UN Country Action Plans, or under Mid-Term Review and strengthen future implementation.
- Duration: July 2010 - December 2011
- Value: US$ 33,260
- Donor: UN-HABITAT
UN-Habitat Support to Asia Development Bank (ADB) City Development Initiative for Asian Cities
This Cities Development Initiative for Asia (CDIA)/UN-Habitat project aims to: Bridge the gap between City Development Strategies and prioritised project Feasibility Studies through better project prioritisation and the preparation of fast-track Pre-Feasibility Studies (PFS) that will kick-start the development of the more detailed feasibility studies and capital investment packages; Build the capacities of National Partner Organisations (NPOs) to support cities in the preparation of these PFS, and; Better mobilise domestic, international, public and/or private financing so that PFS and FS have better chance of successful financing.]
- Duration: January 2011 - March 2012
- Value: US$ 100,000
- Donor: Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Implementing partners: Housing and Urban Development Coordinating Council (HUDCC)-Philippines, Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG)-Philippines, Local Government Academy (LGA)-Philippines, Administrative Center for China's Agenda 21 (ACCA21), Mayore Chapter, Urban and Regional Development Institute (URDI), Sevanatha and Marrg