Terms of Reference For Support to the Implementation of the UN-Habitat Country Programme for Ethiopia
Consultancy: Information Technology Consultant
Project Title: Support to the Implementation of the UN-Habitat Country Programme for Ethiopia
Duration: 20 working days per month for 6 months
Starting date: Immediately after contract signing
Duty Station: Addis Ababa
UN-Habitat is the United Nations programme working towards a better urban future with a mission of promoting socially and environmentally sustainable human settlements development and the achievement of adequate shelter for all. It is present in Ethiopia since 1998.
UN-Habitat and the Ministry of Urban Development and Construction (MUDCo) entered a formal partnership for providing support to sustainable urban development in Ethiopia. UN-Habitat developed a guiding document called UN-Habitat Country Programme for Ethiopia (2020-2025). Building on global frameworks such as SDG 11, the New Urban Agenda and Ethiopia’s 2nd Growth and Transformation Plan (GTP II), the country program focuses on urban governance, regional, urban and settlement planning, improved urban environment and basic service delivery, adequate and affordable housing and enhanced land management and land information systems as well as emergency response and recovery from crises.
UN-Habitat is implementing several projects including the overall Country Programme Implementation in selected cities (Addis Ababa, Adama, Dire Dawa, Hawassa and Bahir Dar) and three regions (Amhara, Sidama and Somali) regarding urban and regional planning, urban resilience, municipal capacity building and enhanced coordination in the urban sector in Ethiopia; Urban Solid Waste Management (SWM), which focuses on two cities (Addis Ababa and Bahir Dar) through the implementation of the Fukuoka Method; and provision of technical assistance to City Governments and other concerned stakeholders to cope with the urbanization impacts of the industrial parks, with focus on spatial/urban planning, waste management and housing at the city cluster scale.
The incumbent will strengthen the UN-Habitat Ethiopia support to the Ministry of Urban Development and Construction (MUDCo) to implement the “Ethiopian Cities Performance Monitoring Framework (CPMF)” project. The planned activities work to develop and implement a web-based performance monitoring system for the urban sector in Ethiopia. Currently, the CPMF system is installed and configured on a dedicated server and accessible on the worldwide web. The full implementation and cascading of the system includes collection and management of data of major Ethiopian cities and towns.
- Objective and of the Assignment
The objective of this consultancy function is to support successful implementation of the CPMF system by providing technical assistance to MUDCo in the administration, management and maintenance of the CPMF system and cascading of the system to major Ethiopian cities and towns.
- Scope of the work
Over the course of the assignment, the consultant shall be responsible for effectively performing the following tasks:
- Ensure that the CPMF system is properly installed and configured on the server;
- Manage the CPMF server and its technology tools;
- Set up accounts and workstations for the system;
- Monitor performance and maintain the systems according to requirements;
- Troubleshoot issues and outages on the system;
- Ensure security through access controls, backups and firewalls;
- Upgrade the system with new releases and models;
- Deliver training to relevant staff of the Ministry on installation, configuration, maintenance, administration and other necessary technical skills on the CPMF system and other related technologies and tools;
- Develop expertise to train relevant technical staff of the Ministry on the CPMF system and other related new technologies and tools to the level that the technical team is capable of fully and independently manage the system;
- Provide training for users and user groups of the CPMF system on how to use the system including users from within the Ministry, other relevant governmental organizations and focal persons from regional states and cities;
- Designing software solutions and suggesting the best solution for the organization in the area of web-based performance monitoring;
- Build an internal wiki with technical documentation, manuals and IT policies relevant to the CPMF system;
- Identifying, suggesting and applying best practice and automation in the area of web-based performance monitoring.
- Supervision and collaboration
Under the direct supervision of the UN-Habitat Ethiopia Country Programme Manager, the position will be based in Plan and Program Budget Bureau of the Ministry of Urban Development and Construction (MUDCO). The incumbent will work closely with both the Plan and Program Budget and IT Bureaus of the Ministry.
- Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree or equivalent in computer science, information technology or other closely related fields;
- Minimum of four years of experience in software and applications development, information system administration, information system security, server administration and management;
- Expert level skills in backend and frontend development; server configuration, installation, administration and management (in Linux, Windows and Unix environments); and other programming languages such as C++ and Python;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Fluency in Amharic and English (both spoken and written).
Applications should include:
All applications should be submitted to: email@example.com