Terms of Reference
For the Junior Designer and Construction Manager in Guinea-Bissau
Consultancy: International Consultant
Project Title: Technical Assistance for Sustainable Urban Development
Grade: P2 Equivalent
Functional Designation: Junior Designer and Construction Manager
Duration: 3 months (renewable)
Starting date: 01 August 2019
Duty Stations: Bissau – Guinea Bissau
1. Background and Justification
UN-Habitat has a long-term strategy in Guinea-Bissau which includes the implementation of a Habitat Country Programme document (HCDP) to support the implementation of both the New Urban Agenda (NUA) and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), in particular SDG 11, in the country. It has been developed in line with the country’s main strategic documents and established priorities at national government level: Strategic Operational Plan “Terra Ranka” (2015 to 2020), Growth and Poverty Reduction Strategy Document (DENARP-II) and the Political Charter on Infrastructure Sector Development. The HCPD guides UN-Habitat action in the country, with activities spanning from support in elaboration of norms, capacity building activities, to assisting in resilience initiatives.
Recently, in collaboration with the municipality of Bissau, UN-Habitat developed the Bissau 2030 Strategic Plan, endorsed by the Municipality of Bissau and the Ministry of Construction, Public Works and Urbanism (MOPCU). The Strategic Plan establishes ten goals and 30 targets in order to reach the sustainable urban development of Bissau. In November 2018, a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Municipality of Bissau and UN-Habitat, officialising the collaboration between both entities to take Bissau 2030’s implementation forward.
As part of the efforts to implement these plans, UN-Habitat seeks to mainstream them among potential partners, establishing connections for future technical, institutional and financial cooperation. As a result, UN-Habitat is frequently contacted by a variety of stakeholders, including other UN agencies, to provide technical assistance in numerous urban-related matters.
Due to a particular gap in the Bissau-Guinean market, UN-Habitat has also provided support in the construction management and architectural design of public facilities. These include, amongst others, health facilities, which are essential components for the achievement of the goals set in both national- and local-level development plans, as well as UN-Habitat’s HCPD, in terms of sanitation and public health.
2. Objective of the Consultancy
The objective of this assignment is to provide, under the overall supervision of the Human Settlements Officer and the direct supervision of the National Technical Advisor, technical support for the implementation of local and national development plans and the design and construction management activities in Guinea-Bissau to other UN agencies and other development partners.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities related to UN-Habitat’s technical assistance for sustainable urban development activities in Guinea-Bissau are outlined below:
- Support partners on the architectural design of facilities, with particular focus on accessibility, resilience and sustainability aspects (e.g. use of local materials).
- Support the development of bill of quantities (BoQ) and cost estimates.
- Assistance in planning of construction activities and identification of contractors.
- Support the bidding and procurement processes, including licensing in accordance with municipal and national legal frameworks.
- Provide ongoing oversight of construction services, including site visits, periodic reporting on the progress of works and engagement with contractors.
- Assist partners with controlling of construction costs against proposed budget and work progress.
- Analyse in-situ project incompatibilities and develop alternative solutions, along with contractors and partner agencies.
- Support in quality assurance inspections.
In addition, the consultant will provide support in the following programme-related activities:
- Support Bissau 2030 Strategic Plan implementation, by engaging with different partners for potential technical, institutional or financial collaboration.
- Support capacity building activities regarding the MoU between UN-Habitat and the Municipality of Bissau.
- Support fundraising activities, including research for funding opportunities and development of conceptual notes.
- Provide eventual contributions, if demanded, to:
- the implementation of the NUA, the SDGs and the HCPD in Guinea-Bissau;
- administrative activities related to UN-Habitat’s office in Guinea-Bissau;
- communication and advocacy activities;
- other initiatives appointed by the Human Settlements Officer or National Technical Advisor.
- Structural design and construction management (site oversight) activities (at least 3 years);
- Experience with construction of commercial buildings and pre-fabricated technologies a plus;
- Working experience in a Portuguese-speaking African country is desired.
- Capacity to design and to model in CAD software;
- Capacity to prepare Bill of Quantities and Budget sheets;
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of responsibility, in a flexible manner and often under pressure;
- Excellent communication and writing skills;
- Ability to prepare charts, infographic and other graphic design products;
- Proficiency in oral and written English;
- Fluency in oral and written Portuguese.
- University degree in architecture, civil engineering or equivalent.
All applications should be submitted to:
Email subject: Construction Manager – Bissau”