Call for Expressions of Interest
Comprehensive feasibility study for the closure of the informal dumpsite and construction of an integrated sustainable waste management facility in Ngong Town, Kenya
Date of publication: 14 June 2017
Deadline for submission of Expressions of Interests: 30 June 2017
The management of solid waste is one of the most costly and complex urban services. The absence of adequate solid waste management facilities leads to the proliferation of illegal dumpsites that present serious health and environmental hazards. The Government of Italy and the Government of Kenya have partnered with UN-Habitat to address the challenge of improper solid waste management and to create an integrated solid waste management facility in Ngong town in the outskirts of Nairobi that could be replicated in other towns across Kenya and other developing countries with similar challenges. Through this call for Expressions of Interest, UN-Habitat invites eligible international and national organizations including engineering firms, consultancy firms, academic institutions, research institutions, civil society organizations and individuals to submit their expressions of interest to conduct a comprehensive feasibility study for (1) the closure of the current illegal dumping site in Ngong and for (2) the design of the new integrated sustainable waste management facility in Ngong town including the new landfill site.
UN-Habitat intends to use this project to foster partnerships that will promote transfer of knowledge on sustainable municipal solid waste management. Preference is therefore given to partnerships or consortiums including universities, civil society organizations, private institutions or consultancy firms etc. formed to collaborate on the delivery of the assignment.
Scope of the Assignment
The scope of the assignment will include but not limited to the following;
- A baseline diagnostic survey summarizing the current status of solid waste management in Kajiado County;
- An environmental and social impact assessment of the closure of the illegal dumpsite as well as a study of the technical feasibility, the applicable technology and financial feasibility of the closure;
- An environmental and social impact assessment for the new dumpsite as well as a study of the technical feasibility, the applicable technology for resource recovery and financial feasibility;
- Contribution to the organization of consultative workshops with stakeholders and the organization of public awareness campaigns on proper waste management; and
- Develop a full size project document for the integrated solid waste management project in Ngong town using the UN-Habitat project template.
Requirements of the Expression of Interest
In order to be considered eligible, organizations submitting an Expression of Interest must have a proven track record of past works on feasibility studies conducted in the field of integrated solid waste management or any related work on municipal waste management.
Applicants will need to submit;
- A proposal clearly outlining how the organization intends to implement the assignment. This should include the technical approach and the methodology;
- Organizational track record detailing similar feasibility studies in the field of integrated solid waste management completed in the past;
- The organization’s registration documents;
- Audited financial statements for the last 2 years;
- The CVs of key staff to be involved in the delivery of the project; and
- Where the expression of interest is submitted by a partnership or consortium, a list of the proposed members of the partnership or consortium, the proposed lead organization and the roles to be played by each member.
The Expression of Interest must be submitted to UN-Habitat no later than the close of business on the 30th of June 2017 to the following address:
Urban Energy Unit
Urban Basic Services Branch
PO Box 30030-00100
Submission in electronic format should be sent to;
Due to the size restrictions of UN email system, please copy the electronic submissions to email@example.com
The subject line should be “NGONG TOWN INTEGRATED SOLID WASTE MANAGEMENT PROJECT”. Please note that UN-Habitat will only contact those shortlisted for the interviews.