United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Community Based Stabilization Programme for Resettlement and Integration of Refugee Communities in Kalobeyei, Turkana County
RESEARCH AND TESTING SUSTAINABLE ENERGY PRODUCTION WITHIN THE SPATIAL FRAMEWORK
Call for Expressions of Interest from Non-Profit Organizations
The UN-Habitat Programme is seeking EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI) from qualified and registered local and international Non Profit Organizations for the implementation of community mobilization supporting UN-Habitat in achieving the “a sustainable human settlement that integrates refugees and host communities” and “countering conflicts between refugees and host communities, and promote a minimum socio-economic stability” within the project Community Stabilization Programme for Resettlement and Integration of Refugee Communities in Kalobeyei, Turkana County.
DEADLINE for submissions: 2 September 2017
DURATION: 12 months, tentative starting date 15 September 2017
United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat) aims to support provision of adequate shelter for all, and sustainable human settlements development in an urbanizing world. In line with this mandate, UN-Habitat has been supporting member states including Kenya in developing well-planned and efficient human settlements, with adequate access to housing, infrastructure, and universal access to employment and basic services such as water, energy, and sanitation.
Turkana County is the largest, yet among the poorest counties in Kenya and home to thousands of refugees fleeing from civil strife in the neighboring countries. In 2016, UN-Habitat partnered with UNHCR and Turkana County Government to prepare an integrated spatial development framework including a spatial plan for Kalobeyei Settlement that would reduce conflict and promote social cohesion among communities.
UN-Habitat is engaging in a second phase of the project, designed to address host community stabilization and development. UN-Habitat is seeking to contribute to improving the skills and increasing the capacity of refugees and host communities to support sustainable livelihoods development within the strategies defined in the spatial plan. These activities will complement the County Government efforts geared towards improving livelihoods of the host community and refugees and will support job creation and entrepreneurial development for both refugees and host communities.
2. Planned activities:
The activity aims to empower local groups in contributing to a sustainable local development, linked with the spatial aspects and towards enabling economic opportunities. The assignment focuses on a research component on energy sector to provide in-depth analysis of sustainable energy production potential and opportunities within the spatial planning framework. The activity concerns the following aspects:
- Innovation – the organization sought will create and explore innovative approaches to sustainable energy. Organizations with proven experience and impact in the sector are preferred.
- Sustainability – the activity must focus on preventing waste and producing economic-viable and environmental friendly outputs that take in consideration feasibility of production in the given context. Organizations with proven experience and impact in the sector are preferred.
- Economy - the activity is to diversify and encourage economic activity around sustainable options for energy production at the community level
- Academic outputs – the organization will report the research in an academic manner as a normative output, potentially peer-reviewed
- Testing– the theoretical component has to be proven valid though testing.
3. The statement of experience and capability, and the indicative budgets should contain, but need not be limited to the following:
a. Institutional and Technical Information:
- Description of the organization`s main activities;
- A description of the methodology, addressing social, technical and sustainability aspects included in a tentative work plan;
- Copy of the organization statute;
- At least two consecutive years financial statements;
- Proof of certification as a nonprofit organization
b. Indicative Budgets
Interested parties should email their Expression of Interest and supporting documents (PDF format, preferably) to oana.baloi[at]unhabitat.org with cc to before Monday 7 August 2017, COB.
Expressions of interest should be referenced as “EOI – Research and testing sustainable energy production within the spatial framework”. Successful applicants will be invited for further discussions on possible involvement in the project.