11th Metropolis World Congress 2014 - Hyderabad, India
Unpacking Metropolitan Governance
6 October 2014 | 14h30 – 16h30 | Hyderabad International Convention Center
Co-organized by UN-Habitat and German Development Cooperation BMZ / GIZ
Worldwide, metropolitan areas are rapidly becoming the predominant form of human settlement. The size of metropolises and their growth, their socio-economic and spatial fractures, their economic characteristics and institutional dimensions have consequences for the transparency, efficiency, accountability, and participatory dimensions of governance. Governance is the software metropolitan structures cannot work properly without; it is the medium through which the transformative force of urbanization is nurtured and unleashed in the metropolitan regions.
UN-Habitat and GIZ are engaging in a joint exercise to improve the understanding of metropolitan governance in developing countries - especially in fast growing and emerging metropolises in low income countries – with a view to developing a relevant assessment methodology, applicable tools and policy recommendations.
* * *
- Dr. Janardhan Reddy, Commissioner and Director Municipal Administration, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Mr. Thomas Kiwitt, Managing Director of the Regional Planning and Development Department in the region of Stuttgart, Germany
- Ms. Maria Lucia Camargo, Coordinator of economic studies at Emplasa, São Paulo Company for Metropolitan Planning, Brazil
- Dr. Assem El Gazzar, Head of the General Organization for Physical Planning (GOPP), Ministry of Housing, Utilities and Urban Development, Egypt (TBC)
* * *
Q & A session
The session is designed to be exploratory in nature and practice-oriented in order to give some inputs to the main lines of a metropolitan governance practical framework. It will query:
- How do the metropolitan governance arrangements contribute – or not – to equity, accountability and participation?
- How and why does a metropolitan region work – or not? In other words: how can (good) metropolitan governance be operationalized?
- Which practical recommendations could be made to improve the main dimensions of good urban governance at a metropolitan scale?
How can development partners support and facilitate the implementation of practical metropolitan governance arrangements?
See the World Metropolis Congress website for more information.
See our partner website for more information on Metropolis.