- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
UN-Habitat and the International Road Transport Union sign MOU
New York 6th October 2015 — On the sidelines of the historic United Nations summit for the adoption of the post-2015 development agenda, UN-Habitat and the International Road Transport Union signed a Memorandum of Understanding.
“The MOU marks the beginning of a collaboration that will bring together the transport industry including bus, coach, taxi and truck operators, from large fleets to individual owner-operators” said Mr. Igor Runov, Under Secretary General IRU speaking during the launch of IRU’s initiative on the “Global Partnership of Sustainable Transport” (GPST).
Welcoming the GPST, Mr Andre Dzikus, Coordinator of the Urban Basic Services Branch, UN-Habitat pointed to the great potential that the SDGs could play in advancing the sustainable urban mobility agenda. “Goal 11 of the SDGs to make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable and its associated target to provide access to safe, affordable, accessible and sustainable transport systems for all is a powerful impetus to promote a new and people-centered paradigm of urban mobility that looks at accessibility as the goal of all transportation.” said Mr. Dzikus.
Looking forward, UN-Habitat and IRU plan to work on a number of initiatives including the GPST and UN-Habitat’s Urban Electric Mobility Initiative, that was launched at the UN Climate summit in September 2014.