- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
- Namibian habitat committee visits UN-Habitat
- Urban experts and practitioners trained in monitoring SDG 11 indicators
UN-Habitat and Shenzhen kick-start the publication of a book on the city’s transformation
The acting coordinator of UN-Habitat’s Urban and Finance Branch Marco Kamiya and Mr. Li Xiaogan, Director-General of the Publicity Department of the Communist Part of China (CPC) Shenzhen Municipal Committee jointly launched the preparation of the publication entitled “Rapid Transformation of Shenzhen, China: The Role of Economic, Spatial Planning and Environmental Policies.”
The objective of the publication is to document and disseminate urban development experience of Shenzhen, China. Shenzhen has achieved remarkable economic and social development since 1980. There were only about 30,000 people in Shenzhen in the 1970s. In 1980 it was designated as China’s first special economic zone. Today, there are over 12 million people in Shenzhen, its economic output is ranked the third highest among all cities in China, and it is ranked one of the most competitive financial centers in the world. Over the years, Shenzhen’s government has played a key role in the economic and spatial transformation of the city. Other growing cities, new cities and special economic zones in other countries can learn valuable lessons from Shenzhen’s experience.
Mr. Chen Jinhai, Deputy Director-General, the Publicity Department of the CPC Shenzhen Municipal Committee, Mr. Liu Wenbin, Director of Cultural System Reform Office of the Publicity Department of the CPC Shenzhen Municipal Committee, Mr. Yang Jian, Director of the Division of Theory, the Publicity Department of the CPC Shenzhen Municipal Committee, Prof. Ni Penfei from Chinse Academy of Sciences and Prof. Wang Dong from Shenzhen University participated in the meeting.