CONSULTANT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Issued on 27 February 2018
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: UN-Habitat
DUTY STATION: Nairobi
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: Project Consultant - Sustainable Urban Mobility
DURATION 12 months
CLOSING DATE: 7 March 2018
The Urban Basic Services Branch (UBSB) of UN-Habitat aims at increasing equitable access to urban basic services which comprise water, sanitation, solid waste management, mobility and energy. The Branch consists of four programmatic units, namely: i) Water and Sanitation, ii) Urban Waste Management; iii) Urban Mobility and iv) Urban Energy. These programmatic units promote initiatives aimed at strengthening policies and institutional capacities and frameworks for increasing equitable access to urban basic infrastructure and services and improving the standard of living of the urban poor.
The Urban Basic Services Branch works with national governments and local authorities in developing and implementing sustainable urban development solutions by offering a comprehensive package of knowledge, advocacy tools and technical assistance including innovative urban development solutions. Through the Urban Mobility Unit, the Branch offers technical support to partner cities to advance transport policies, improve public transport systems, promote safer walking and cycling and improve access to sustainable transport systems for all. On-going and previous activities include providing technical assistance to develop efficient public transport systems in partner cities, focusing on Bus Rapid Transit, Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning (SUMP), complete street designs for equitable access, Placemaking, low-carbon urban mobility solutions and other initiatives to promote equitable access to public transport, walking and cycling.
In-order to further develop the portfolio of UN-Habitat’s urban mobility activities, the Urban Mobility Unit is seeking services of a consultant to support efforts to expand the portfolio. Additionally, the Consultant is expected to support any other on-going projects ensuring excellence in the implementation of these activities.
The Consultant will support the work of the Urban Mobility Unit in the Urban Basic Services Branch with particular focus on the following tasks:
Develop sustainable urban mobility proposals or projects in consultation with development partners, cities, government or academia focusing on Road Safety, Non-Motorized transport, Intermodal Integration, Universal Accessibility, Public Transport and innovative mobility systems (Task 01);
Support implementation of the “Urban Pathways” (low-carbon urban development plans for urban basic services) Project by developing sub-projects, advising feasibility studies, organizing workshops, preparing advocacy material and providing input to related urban mobility initiatives (Task 02);
Assist in the implementation of other on-going projects, including the Cairo public transport project by preparing implementation plans, sub-project concepts and consultations with government partners (Task 03);
Support research, coordination with partners, project review, programme updates and reporting (Task 04);
Provide in-put in development of guides, standards, transport policy formulation and other instruments (Task 05);
Support the development of a publication/ guide book on low carbon development for cities in developing and emerging economies (Task 06);
Support the Academy of Sustainable Urban Mobility by supporting the organisation and logistics of the training workshop (Task 07); and
Support in the dissemination of results and lessons learnt from the ‘SOLUTIONS’ (Sharing Opportunities for Low carbon Urban Transportation) Project (Task 08).
Professionalism: High level of expertise in the area of urban mobility with demonstrated capacity for intellectual leadership and innovative and creative thinking. Professional competence and conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments while observing deadlines and achieving results.
Communications: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language to transport related project partners; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping colleagues informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others' ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies of the work on urban mobility; identifies priority activities and assignments for the unit; adjusts priorities as required; allocates the appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
Accountability: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost, and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules.
• Advanced university degree (A Master’s degree or equivalent) in Geography, Urban Planning, Project Management or Public/Business Administration, a first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience is acceptable in lieu of the advanced degreeor related field.
• At least 5 (five) years of working experience in the field of urban or transport planning or in comparable sectors.
• Experience in project management, especially in relation to urban issues.
• Experience in working with and supporting national Government institutions, city administrations, academia, NGOs.
• Ability to work independently with a high degree of responsibility, in a flexible manner and under pressure.
• Computer literate in work processing software and electronic communications.
• Strong writing, inter-personal and networking skills.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this assignment, fluency in oral and written English is required.
• Ability to communicate with donors, partners and senior management;
• Sound judgment, analytical skills, networking and interpersonal skills, ability to plan and organize work;
• Good report/project writing skills.
Instalments Outputs Amount to be paid (USD)
6 Payments will be done bi-monthly upon receipt of bi-monthly progress reports (covering all activities undertaken during the reporting period) over the consultancy period.
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
• Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
1. Educational Background (incl. dates)
2. Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
3. Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
4. Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
5. Expectations regarding remuneration
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
Please also be advised that since April 15th, 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
All applications should be submitted to:
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Deadline for applications is 7 March 2018
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com