ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Programme Development Branch, Global Solutions Division
DUTY STATION: Nairobi, Kenya
FUNCTIONAL TITLE: SDG Cities Global Initiative Consultant
CONTRACT TYPE: TJO
POST DURATION: 10 months
CLOSING DATE: 26 May 2022
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially, economically and environmentally sustainable cities, towns and other human settlements.
In 2020 UN-Habitat launched its global flagship initiative SDG Cities. SDG Cities aims to support 1000 cities to accelerate their achievement of the SDGs. It does this by supporting:
- the collection and analysis of data;
- the generation of evidence-based action plans;
- strengthening capacities of local institutions; and
- the development of SDG impact project portfolios and their financing.
In regard to these components UN-Habitat has developed digital diagnostic tools, training packages and a Cities Investment Facility that can be accessed by city authorities and stakeholders. They will be supported through technical backstopping from technical units based at country, regional and global levels. The flagship initiative anticipates reaching scale through establishing national SDG Cities Initiatives involving the participation of national groupings of several cities, and through partnerships with national and regional city networks.
Outstanding efforts of cities to accelerate the achievement of SDGs is recognized through a prestigious SDG Cities Certification.
The SDG Cities global flagship initiative aims to support 1000 cities to accelerate their achievement of the SDGs. It does this by collecting and analyzing data; generating action plans; strengthening capacities of local institutions; and developing SDG project portfolios and their financing.
To do this end, UN-Habitat needs to develop digital diagnostic tools, training packages and a Cities Investment Facility that can be accessed by city authorities and stakeholders.
- The consultant will develop the Data tool (including data analysis templates); Ensure the tool is adapted as necessary; provide technical backstopping to the three participating cities in their implementation of the data collection and analysis.
- The consultant will provide Strategic Planning and technical advice as required for the piloting of the City Development Strategy.
- The consultant will provide Capacity Development explaining to the City how to finalise the institutional diagnostic tools and work alongside the digital partner to explain how they should be set up
- The consultant will review the documentation provided by twenty cities and provide recommendations on their readiness for certification, based on certification criteria.
1a – Urban Monitoring Data tool for data scarce environments in Excel format, ready to be piloted and digitised
1b – Data tool implemented in four cities
2 – SDG Cities City Development Strategies are implemented in four cities
3 – diagnostic assessments are undertaken by local institutions in 4 cities
4 – 20 cities are recommended for SDG Cities Certification
5 – support a series of SDG Cities events including special events at World Urban Forum and during World Cities Day
01 June 2022 - 31 March 2023 (10 Months)
- Professionalism: Ability to identify key strategic issues, opportunities and risks. Ability to generate and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction. Ability to communicate clearly links between the Organization's strategy and UN-Habitat Kosovo’s goals. Demonstrated ability to provide innovative technical leadership by performing and/or overseeing the planning, development, and management of operation. Demonstrated ability to negotiate and apply good judgment Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Communication: Excellent written and oral presentation skills in English. Excellent capacity to produce and manipulate graphic documents and drawings. Good presentation skills. Ability to communicate complex interventions in a clear language and convincing narratives. Sketching capabilities to effectively communicate in workshop settings and teams.
- Teamwork: Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve agreed goals.
Education: First level Degree in information management, business analysis, project management, international development or similar is required.
Professional Experience: Experience in Data base management, data management, events organisation, social innovation, youth mobilisation is required
Skills: Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal are desirable. Excellent active listening skills are desirable. Strong organisational skills
Fluency in oral and writing English is required.
Remuneration: USD 3,500 per month
Applications should include:
- Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
- P11, indicating the following information:
- Educational Background (incl. dates)
- Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
- Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
- Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
All applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications:
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com