The Global Alliance for Urban Crises is a multi-disciplinary, collaborative community of practice working to prevent, prepare for and effectively respond to humanitarian crises in urban settings.
The Global Alliance brings together diverse actors who commit to the principles outlined in the Urban Crisis Charter, including:
- Academia/Think Tanks
- Built Environment Professionals
- Local Governments
- National Governments / Donors
- Humanitarian and Development Organizations
- Civil Society / Grassroots Organizations
Adapting Urban Tools
Tailoring humanitarian response to the urban context by developing shared assessment and profiling tools, promoting joint analysis, and adapting coordination mechanisms.
- Knowledge Product 1: Urban Profiling for Better Responses to Humanitarian Crises.
- Knowledge Product 5: Protocol of Engagement between Local Governments and Humanitarian Actors.
Mobilizing Urban Expertise
Developing or working with existing global, regional and national rosters to facilitate the deployment of urban leaders, managers and technical experts.
- Urban Competency Framework, User Guide, Research Report
- Knowledge Product 2: Philippines Case Study
- The Global Alliance for Urban Crises Response Roster
Managing Urban Displacement
Building the evidence base on characteristics of protracted displacement in urban areas and contributing to the design of appropriate and cost-effective responses, with particular regard to the protection of vulnerable people, shelter, basic services and infrastructure.
- Knowledge Product 3: Urban Displacement from Different Perspectives.
- Humanitarian Learning Center Operational Practice Paper 4: Vulnerabilities in Urban Protracted Displacement.
Building Urban Resilience
Ensuring that initiatives focused on building urban resilience incorporate components on resilient response and recovery from crises and that they leverage the greatest impact in cities most at risk of humanitarian emergencies.