- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
- Central and North Asian Countries Participate in Consultations on Asia and...
- Press Release: Abu Dhabi Signs Agreement with UN-Habitat to Host 10th World...
- One Hundred Youth Receive Training on Solar Street Lighting to Curb Urban...
- Workshop Promotes Sustainable Social Housing Projects in India
- Stakeholders Endorse Proposed Integrated Waste Management Facility for Kajiado...
- UN Habitat leads discussions on creating opportunities for urban youth at Kigali...
- Kenya’s President and UN-Habitat join Nairobi residents in monthly clean-up
The General Assembly, in resolution 67/216, encouraged effective contributions from and the active participation of all relevant stakeholders, including local governments, major groups as identified in Agenda 21, the relevant United Nations funds and programmes, the regional commissions and specialized agencies, the international financial institutions and other Habitat Agenda partners, at all stages of the preparatory process for the Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development (Habitat III) and at the Conference itself.
In its resolution 69/226, the General Assembly emphasized the importance on wide participation of all relevant stakeholders, including local authorities, in the promotion of sustainable urbanization and settlements; as well as called upon member states to ensure effective participation in the preparatory process and in the Conference itself of local governments and all other stakeholders.
In the same resolution, the General Assembly decided that the major groups and the non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council, as well as those accredited to Habitat II and the summit to be held in September 2015 for the adoption of the post-2015 development agenda, shall register in order to participate in the Conference. Also decides that non-governmental organizations not in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council wishing to attend and contribute to the Conference, and whose work is relevant to the subject of the Conference, may participate as observers in the Conference, as well as in the preparatory meetings, in accordance with the provisions contained in part VII of Council resolution 1996/31 of 25 July 1996, and subject to the approval of the Preparatory Committee in plenary meeting, and that, while respecting fully the provisions contained in rule 57 of the rules of procedure of the functional commissions of the Council, such a decision should be made by consensus.
The deadline for submitting accreditation applications are:
- Preparatory Committee, second session – 15 March 2015
- Preparatory Committee, third session – 1 April 2016
- Habitat III Conference – 2 May 2016