How to participate in World Habitat Day 2014
Raise awareness in your city! Here are some ideas for activities you can organize to celebrate this World Habitat Day.
- Draw attention to the challenges and issues on this year’s theme, particularly slum upgrading and adequate housing. Give a voice to slum residents, through press articles, radio (radio show concept note) and TV, panel programmes with policy makers, government officials, academics, other professionals and community representatives.
- Organize high-level meetings and discussions with national, regional and local governments on the WHD theme towards the new Post-2015 Development Agenda and Habitat III.
- Launch the WHD ‘Voices from Slums’ campaign in your city and encourage recording slum stories at the ‘Voices from Slums Library’.
- Organize public events to create awareness of the conditions of living in the most vulnerable areas of your city. Use public spaces, theatres and auditoriums for your events.
- Organize fund raising, recreational or entertainment activities like sport matches or concerts, and use the proceeds to upgrade and extend services for poor communities.
- Encourage your partners to join the ‘Voices from Slums’ campaign.
- Collect slum stories from your city (through video, photo, documentaries, articles, etc) and share them with the World Habitat Day Secretariat at UN-Habitat through the Register your event portal.
- Visit this website frequently for updates.