- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
Experts from Eastern Europe discuss preparations for Habitat III
Minsk, 25 March 2015 – National coordinators and experts from Armenia, Belarus, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova and Russia met in the Republic of Belarus, earlier this month to discuss preparations for the Habitat III, the United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban Development. The participants discussed the draft national reports for Habitat III as well as the first regional conclusions, important steps on the road to the conference.
They highlighted that during the last two decades the cities of the region have seen a major transformation as countries moved from planned to market economies. The lessons learnt from this transformation could be an important contribution from the region to the global report, which is to be prepared for Habitat III.
The meeting was facilitated by the Methodology Centre in Minsk. Speaking at the opening ceremony, Belarus Deputy Minister for Architecture and Construction, Dmitry Semenkevich, said: “I am confident that [Habitat III] will be an important milestone towards achieving the aims of sustainable development in human settlements.
I hope that the Conference will serve as a platform for the exchange of experience, new ideas and approaches to the solution of cities’ problems and identify the priorities of the global urban development agenda in the long-term. The Republic of Belarus has started active preparation of its participation in Habitat III. Its National Coordinator has been appointed and work on its National Report is underway.”