Ending the Urban AIDS Epidemic
Ending the AIDS epidemic in cities will have profound, long-lasting benefits for countless urban communities across the globe. But the AIDS response can also play another transformative role, as a pathfinder for broader health and development gains in urban areas.
The key characteristics of the AIDS response :
- Multisectoral, evidence-based and people-centred action
- Community engagement and leadership
- Innovation to overcome barriers and improve outcomes
- A focus on concrete targets and accountability for results
- A commitment to human rights and gender equity
- An insistence that no one be left behind.
This can help inspire new coalitions, innovative delivery platforms and broad-based action to ensure sustained growth and shared prosperity in the post-2015 era. This report includes examples of cities in every region that are displaying courageous, innovative, transformative leadership on AIDS.