- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
- Central and North Asian Countries Participate in Consultations on Asia and...
- Press Release: Abu Dhabi Signs Agreement with UN-Habitat to Host 10th World...
- One Hundred Youth Receive Training on Solar Street Lighting to Curb Urban...
- Workshop Promotes Sustainable Social Housing Projects in India
- Stakeholders Endorse Proposed Integrated Waste Management Facility for Kajiado...
- UN Habitat leads discussions on creating opportunities for urban youth at Kigali...
- Kenya’s President and UN-Habitat join Nairobi residents in monthly clean-up
Digital Content Creator
|Posting Title:||Digital Content Creator|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Human Settlements Programme|
|Posting Period:||01 November 2018 – 21 November 2018|
|Job Opening Number:||18-United Nations Human Settlements Programme-106353-Consultant|
Result of Service
• Digital communication strategy for UN-Habitat’s corporate communication
• Standards, templates and guideline document for consistent and coherent presentation of digital content
• Monthly report and curated content for revamped UN-Habitat website
• Course guideline for content writing
• Training for ERD communication officers and client communication officers
• One year social media calendar
• Monthly website and social media campaign performance analysis report with recommendations
• Proposal to improve organizational development aspects that would improve content (ie: employee training, recognition and rewards for participation in the company’s marketing and online review building)
Duties and Responsibilities
The UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency responsible for Urbanization and Human settlements mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities. UN-Habitat helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer and healthier places with better opportunities. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society, private sector and the Habitat Agenda Partners. The position is in the Communications and Corporate Services section, External Relations Division (ERD) of UN-Habitat. The section provides communications and events management services to the organization. It is responsible for positioning UN-Habitat with a positive corporate image in the public, in media and the urban development arena as a value-adding and lead partner in this area. This section ensures that public relations and development communications elements are fully integrated in the agency’s strategic plan and programmes and capacity for communications is developed across the agency.
The Digital Content Creator is required to produce high-quality digital content in English for the new website, as well as other digital platforms. The duration of the assignment will be twelve months (full-time), from October 2018 to September 2019. The work is to be carried out onsite, with frequent meetings.
The assignment is best suited for someone based in or around Nairobi.
The writer will be responsible for
• Develop digital communication strategy for growing and leveraging UN-Habitat’s online presence.
• Creating new content and rewriting existing content to suit external digital audiences.
• Working with content providers to research or rewrite material from the standpoint of reader interest, clarity, political sensitivity, thoroughness and accuracy as well as relevance to UN-Habitat’s focus areas.
• Updating website with accurate content, and maintaining functionality, speed, accuracy, consistency of voice and quality control.
• Copy-edit, proofread and rewrite programmatic content for the new website
• Oversee SEO (search engine optimization), content categorization, structure, development and distribution
• Curating, producing and presenting stories, images and videos in UN-Habitat’s web content management system
• Develop standards, templates and guidelines to ensure consistent and coherent presentation of content
• Maintaining contact with content providers to solicit material and/or for approval of drafts.
• Provide training in content writing to communication officers within the division
• With the support of ERD communication officers, conduct training to communication officers from client offices.
• Oversee production and implementation of digital campaigns to support UN-Habitat corporate conferences, events and meetings;
• Create and maintain a regular social media and content calendar and identify real time UN-Habitat digital brand-building opportunities;
• Liaise with social media colleagues to co-ordinate content, messaging and workflows.
• Monitor and analyze website and social media campaign performance and reporting to make optimizations as necessary
Skills: Professionalism: Shows pride in their work and in achievements; demonstrated ability to think strategically, to analyse complex information and offer creative, practical solutions, is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations and promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of UN-Habitat. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two way communication; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; excellent drafting ability and communications skills, both oral and written; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; proven ability to communicate complex concepts orally; ability to prepare written reports that are clear, concise and meaningful.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve services; offers new and different options and provides new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks ‘outside’ the box and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Academic Qualifications: A Bachelor’s degree in communication, journalism, international relations, or related field required.
Experience: • Experience in writing and editing of stories, articles, briefs and other communication materials required.
• Experience in digitial marketing an added advantage
• Experience in communicating complex development issues to multiple audiences required
• Ability to interpret technical and research data in a concise and engaging manner required
• Strong drive for results, taking pride in delivering as per expectation in terms of quality and timeliness
• Knowledge and understanding of the sustainable development goals
• Creative and collaborative in content display and distribution
• Prior client management and/or experience required
• Experience with social media management systems and social media analytics tools an added advantage
Understanding of the social media universe, including experience with YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest, Tumblr, Google+,
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.