CONSULTANT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Issued on 7 June 2017
UN-Habitat office in Tehan, Islamic Republic of Iran
Tehran – I.R.Iran
Consultant, Disaster Risk Management
10 months, renewable subject to availability of funds
16 June 2017
UN-HABITAT’s Tehran Office was established in 2009 to strengthen cooperation between the Islamic Republic of Iran and UN-Habitat, to contribute towards capacity building in the themes of sustainable urban development through policy development, institutional implementation and improvement of required skills and to promote UN-Habitat mandated activities in Iran, particularly in the field of earthquake resistance construction
Under the overall supervision of the chief of UN-Habitat Tehran Office, and under the direct supervision of the Human Settlements Officer, Tehran Office, and in collaboration with the various substantive units and programmes in UN-HABITAT, the Disaster Risk Management Consultant at the Teheran Office will be assisting capacity building activities of the office, particularly holding training courses related to DRM in Iran. In conducting his/her work, the consultant shall pay due attention to the NUA, SDGs and the Sendai framework.
The Consultant, Tehran Office, will be specifically responsible for assisting in and backstopping of the following activities, as directed by the HSO and the chief of UN-Habitat Tehran Office:
- To help determine thematic areas of demand among the stakeholders in the I.R. of Iran for services of UN-Habitat in capacity development;
- To help promote the development, dissemination and application of expertise, experience, applied research and information on activities under UN-Habitat’s mandate;
- To help engage new partners and identify additional funding sources for UN-Habitat capacity building activities
- To help contribute towards capacity building in sustainable urbanization through skill enhancement, institutional development and improvement of policy processes;
- To provide technical support and assistance in the preparation and implementation of relevant programmes;
- To perform other tasks delegated by and on behalf of the Representative of UN-Habitat Tehran Office.
- Determine the training and capacity building needs of line Ministries, local authorities, NGOs/CBOs and other stakeholders relevant to the work of UN-Habitat
- Identify specific capacity building requirements and define the skills needed for the different participating stakeholders.
- Develop and cost capacity building workshops for participating stakeholders
- Conduct Training of Trainers workshops at National, Municipal and Divisional levels and submit training reports
- Undertake any other function directly related to DRM
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Integrity: Demonstrates the values of the United Nations in daily activities and behaviours. Acts without consideration of personal gains. Resists undue political pressure in decision making. Does not abuse power or authority. Stands by decisions that are in the organization’s interest, even if they are unpopular. Takes prompt action in case of unprofessional or unethical behaviour.
- Advanced University Degree with a master’s degree in sustainable urbanization and related disciplines: Architecture, Civil engineering, Urban Planning.
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in risk reduction and management and urbanization issues in Iran and in holding training courses related to DRM, sustainability, and resiliency with public, academic and private organizations, preferably working experience with international organizations and having previous knowledge in contingency planning.
- Understanding the institutional framework and structure of civil administration dealing with disaster management and urbanization in Iran
Strong proficiency in written and spoken English and Persian is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
- Excellent time and resource management, interpersonal, business communication, negotiation skills
- Computing skills including MS-Office applications is essential
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills is required
USD 1,200.00 per month
Applications should include:
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
• CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
• The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
• Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
1. Educational Background (incl. dates)
2. Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
3. Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
4. Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
5. Expectations regarding remuneration
• Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
Please also be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
UN-HABITAT e-Roster in order for their application to be considered. You can reach the e-Roster
through the following link: http://e-roster.unhabitat.org
All applications should be submitted to:
UN-Habitat Tehran office email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 16 June 2017
UN-HABITAT does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. If you have any questions concerning persons or companies claiming to be recruiting on behalf of these offices and requesting the payment of a fee, please contact: email@example.com