- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
The State of European Cities 2016: Cities leading the way to a better future
This report is addressed to policy makers both inside and outside Europe. To help cities learn from each other, the report compares the performance of cities and provides examples of policies that have worked. Using a wealth of new data, it shows the latest demographic, economic, social and environmental trends in European cities. This can promote more evidence-based policy making at the city level. This publication shows how a newly developed, people-based definition of cities can bring better insights and make it easier to compare cities across national borders. Cities boost innovation, embrace people from different backgrounds or with different lifestyles, and reduce our impact on the planet. Cities that operate at the metropolitan scale and have sufficient autonomy and resources can better exploit this urban potential. In addition, the policies of higher levels of government need to consider the unique role of cities.”
Submit your review