- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
UN-Habitat’s Best Practices Unit coordinates, identifies, documents and disseminates best practices and enabling policies on urban development within, and for, the Agency.
The Unit identifies sources of information and knowledge derived from practical experience in support of the monitoring and implementation of the New Urban Agenda and the urban-related SDGs. It also manages the flagship Dubai International Award for Best Practices to Improve the Living Environment in collaboration with the Dubai Municipality. The award is currently in its 11th edition.
- Raise awareness of decision-makers and practitioners by managing and sharing knowledge on principles, practical means and policy options for them to address urban challenges. It does so by identifying, disseminating and applying lessons learned from best practices to ongoing training, reports, leadership, and policy development activities including the City Prosperity Initiative.
- The Unit also has an important role in sharing and utilizing external best practices in informing the development of new UN-Habitat projects, as part of the overall knowledge management strategy.
Best Practices Monthly Feature
Each month, we feature one of the Best Practices winners from the 11th Cycle of the Dubai International Award endorsed by UN-Habitat and Dubai Municipality. We hope that these Best Practices will inform and inspire you on initiatives that are making effective interventions to improve the lives of urban residents around the globe. In case you missed them, please find below the past monthly features:
Best Practices Videos
Best practice services
The key products of the Unit include documented and peer-reviewed best practices, examples of good policies and enabling legislation and case studies and briefs. These products are available for use globally through an online Best Practices Database, which to date contains over 4,000+ proven solutions to common social, economic and environmental problems from 140 countries. The Unit will in 2018-19 develop systems to provide tailor made sets of packages for both internal and external clients, along the New Urban Agenda and urban-SDG priority themes.These packages will include analysis of urban trends, policy, and legislative frameworks that result from, or inform best practices.
Key Clients served
The clients of the Unit include all key UN-Habitat partners, such as decision-makers, practicing professionals at all levels of government and the private sector, academia, civil society as well as the general public. It also serves UN-Habitat’s internal colleagues in the mainstreaming of best practices and enabling policies in UN-Habitat.