- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
UNACLA statement on Habitat III Zero Draft. Endorsed by UNACLA members in New York, 15th May 2016
We, Members of the UNACLA, praise the current proposals coming from the Habitat III Zero draft outcome document released in May, which includes many of our constituency’s recommendations, drawn up through the Global Taskforce of local and regional governments, including those relating to financing, legal frameworks, governance, “reinforced multi-level governance” approach, city-to-city and decentralised cooperation.
We celebrate the text’s reference to the “fundamental role” of local and regional governments in “ensuring the (…) wellbeing of our communities.” and the need for a “renewed local-national partnership” based on effective decentralization, and respect for the “principles of subsidiarity and the recognition of local self-governance”.