- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
UN-Habitat Sudan receives USD 700,000 from Japan to support peaceful IDP returns to South Darfur, Sudan
Khartoum, 17 February 2019 – The Government of Japan has pledged USD 700,000 for the Emergency Support to IDP Return in Alsalam Locality, South Darfur State project for a period of one year starting from March 2019. The UN-Habitat project will benefit 17,100 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and members of host communities in Dagariss village, located 22 km Southwest of Nyala, the capital city of South Darfur.
The project will support the sustainable return of IDPs by ensuring security for both returnees and host communities and securing land rights of returnees. It will enhance self-reliance among the youth and women through self-help construction initiatives to improve basic services and public facilities.
The project responds to Security Council Resolution 2429 adopted in July 2018 which renewed the
mandate of African Union/United Nations Hybrid operation in Darfur (UNAMID). It highlights the importance of addressing land issues for realization of durable solutions in Darfur and the need to create the conditions conducive to allowing the voluntary, informed, safe, dignified and sustainable return of IDPs.
The Government of Japan has also provided UN-Habitat with USD 900,000 to support South Sudanese returnees and hosting communities in Aljabalain Locality, White Nile State, Sudan.