- UN-Habitat Launches Global Municipal Database
- Women’s Groups Discuss Engaging Women in Promoting Safety
- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
UN-Habitat participates in Resilient Cities 2016 Global Forum
Bonn, 19 July 2016– UN-Habitat participated in the 7th Global Forum on Urban Resilience and Adaptation (Resilient Cities 2016). The Forum hosted more than 320 participants, approximately 150 speakers, 34 sessions and a number of side events. UN-Habitat organized several side-events and was represented on several panels.
The events organized by UN-Habitat include sessions on ‘Slum upgrading achieving resilient cities for all in Africa’ organized by the Participatory Slum Upgrading Programme, ‘Resilience planning in small and intermediate-sized cities in sub-Saharan Africa’, organized by the Regional Office for Africa, and ‘Guiding principles for city climate action planning’ organized by the Climate Change Planning Unit.
UN-Habitat also participated in a Sub-Plenary on, ‘Advancing global frameworks through local action: The view from 2016’, with a discussion of how urban resilience is emerging as a theme in the New Urban Agenda, slated to be finalized and released at the upcoming Habitat 3 Conference in Quito.
The organization also participated in several closed events during the Forum, including a meeting of endorsing partners for the Guiding Principles for City Climate Action Planning which it organized, a closed meeting on the Transformative Action Programme pipeline organized by ICLEI, and a meeting of the Joint Work Programme on Resilient Cities organized by Cities Alliance. UN-Habitat, which is represented on the Program Committee of this ICLEI-led conference, offered a people-focused message on urban resilience. “