- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
Based on the successful partnership between UN-Habitat Egypt and General Organization for Physical Planning and New Urban Communities (GOPP) to design the Al-Alamein New City (17,000 feddans – 3 Million inhabitants) using a new paradigm in planning and establishing new towns following principles aligned with the New Urban Agenda and the SDGs (for more information see links below); The Egyptian Government requested the UN-Habitat support to develop the conceptual plan for New Ras El Hekma Waterfront.
On 8th of August 2018, UN-Habitat, General Organization for Physical Planning and New Urban Communities and UN-Habitat signed the contribution agreement and announced the launching of the project RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt.
Mrs. Rania Hedeya, Head of UN-Habitat Egypt Country Programme, emphasized the importance of using planning principles that help the government of Egypt achieve sustainable urbanization and support the right for adequate shelter for all ensuring the value of “leave no one behind” in compliance with the New Urban Agenda, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), particularly SDG 11 and Egypt 2030 Vision.
Ras el Hekma bay is located in the Northern Coast of Egypt and its primary vision is to develop it as a comprehensive sustainable Waterfront. Ras Al Hekma is considered one of the best spots at the Mediterranean basin and Egyptian Northern Coast and known for its crystal-clear water, stunning beaches and rich culture. The New Waterfront is around 55,000 Feddans, located on the Northern Coast of Egypt. The bay falls between two primary cities from the west and by 85 km is Marsa Matrouh and from the east and by 138 km is New Alamein city.
More information on Al Alamein New City Project: