- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
- Central and North Asian Countries Participate in Consultations on Asia and...
- Press Release: Abu Dhabi Signs Agreement with UN-Habitat to Host 10th World...
- One Hundred Youth Receive Training on Solar Street Lighting to Curb Urban...
- Workshop Promotes Sustainable Social Housing Projects in India
- Stakeholders Endorse Proposed Integrated Waste Management Facility for Kajiado...
- UN Habitat leads discussions on creating opportunities for urban youth at Kigali...
- Kenya’s President and UN-Habitat join Nairobi residents in monthly clean-up
UN-Habitat continues support to the Kenya Municipal Programme (Phase 2)
UN-Habitat is collaborating with the Kenya Municipal Program (KMP) in capacity building for Participatory Urban Planning in the country. Following a successful launch of the programme in August for cluster III (Machakos, Thika, Embu) and IV (Naivasha, Nakuru, Nyeri ) towns, the collaboration now moves to towns in Cluster I (Mombasa) and Cluster II (Malindi, Kitui) of the Municipal Programme and aims to support the Government of Kenya to:
- Facilitate participatory preparation and implementation of local area development plans for urban and their peri-urban areas
- Establish an effective coordinating mechanism for the preparation and implementation of plans, and for development control by the urban/county governments and relevant agencies.
- Encourage sustainable, integrated and compact planning, and development of land and the environment within urban areas.
As part of this support, UN-Habitat has organized a series of workshops for local county leaders titled Providing local leaders and decision makers with the tools and approaches to support INTEGRATED STRATEGIC URBAN DEVELOPMENT PLANS The key objectives of the workshop are:
- Equipping leaders of respective county with basic knowledge on urban planning instruments and strategic leadership skills to address key planning challenges related to sustainable urban development, and to be able to assist on-going KMP planning exercises.
- Presenting different case studies on selected urban planning issues in different cities to create a platform for dialogue and to find optimum solutions that can resonate with each county.
- Imparting the requisite skills to address existing planning challenges and generate initiatives and action plans
Workshop 1: UN-Habitat Special Session with Kenya Municipal Programme, November 11th, 2014.
Participants: Members of County Assembly from Mombasa, Malindi, Kitui
Workshop 2: One-Day County Learning Session and Two days Rapid Planning Studios, November 12th, 13th, 14th 2014
Participants: Local county leaders including town planners from Mombasa, Malindi, Kitui