- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
UN-Habitat chairs cities forum at UN climate conference
Bonn, 11 June 2014: UN-Habitat has chaired a dedicated cities forum at a conference held by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change aimed at highlighting sustainable urbanisation as a key factor in addressing global climate change.
The forum is part of the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Durban Platform for Enhanced Action, known as ADP2014, and brought together key actors from the global debate on climate change.
Speaking at the event, Christine Figueres, Executive Secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, said that the world cannot address climate change without addressing urban liveability.
The session was chaired by UN Assistant Secretary-General and UN-Habitat Deputy Executive Director, Aisa Kirabo Kacyira. In her closing remarks, she emphasised the importance of sutainable urbanisation in tackling climate change.
“It is in cities where the battle for sustainable development will be won or lost”, she said.