- UN-Habitat Launches Global Municipal Database
- Women’s Groups Discuss Engaging Women in Promoting Safety
- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
UN-Habitat chairs cities forum at UN climate conference
Bonn, 11 June 2014: UN-Habitat has chaired a dedicated cities forum at a conference held by the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change aimed at highlighting sustainable urbanisation as a key factor in addressing global climate change.
The forum is part of the Ad Hoc Working Group on the Durban Platform for Enhanced Action, known as ADP2014, and brought together key actors from the global debate on climate change.
Speaking at the event, Christine Figueres, Executive Secretary of the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, said that the world cannot address climate change without addressing urban liveability.
The session was chaired by UN Assistant Secretary-General and UN-Habitat Deputy Executive Director, Aisa Kirabo Kacyira. In her closing remarks, she emphasised the importance of sutainable urbanisation in tackling climate change.
“It is in cities where the battle for sustainable development will be won or lost”, she said.