- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost waters’ potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
- Central and North Asian Countries Participate in Consultations on Asia and...
UN-Habitat celebrates United Nations 70th anniversary in Spain
Barcelona 2 November 2015—UN-Habitat through its City Resilience Profiling Programme (CRPP) joined three other sister organisations to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the United Nations at an event held recently at the Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site.
The four UN organizations located at the Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site were– UN-HABITAT’s City Resilience Profiling Programme (UN-HABITAT/CRPP), the GWOPA Secretariat Global Water Operators Partnerships Alliance (UN-HABITAT/GWOPA), the United Nations University Institute on Globalization, Culture and Mobility (UNU-GCM) and the WHO Barcelona Office for Health Systems Strengthening (WHO/Europe) with the support of the Sant Pau Art Nouveau Site participated in the fete.
The event, began with civil society representatives reading the Preamble of the UN Charter in English, Spanish and Catalan. This reading was followed by the speeches of the Heads of Office of the four agencies, who described their respective work in the context of the UN´s 70th Anniversary and their role in the implementation of the recently adopted 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Finally, to close the event, three government representatives – the Ambassador at Large for Preventive Diplomacy and Nominations of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, the Secretary of Foreign Affairs and to the EU of the Generalitat of Catalonia and the First Deputy Mayor at the Barcelona City Council – offered speeches.
This was followed by a concert of songs from the five continents and a reception. As part of the celebration, and in order to join the Turn the world #UNBlue campaign that marked the 70th Anniversary worldwide, the facade of the main building of the site was illuminated in UN blue with a projection of the UN logo.