- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
- Namibian habitat committee visits UN-Habitat
- Urban experts and practitioners trained in monitoring SDG 11 indicators
UN-Habitat and IUTC to hold a training workshop
Nairobi, 15 September 2016—UN-Habitat and the International Urban Training Centre are organizing a workshop ‘Action Planning for Cities Supported by the Cities Prosperity Index’ to run between November 7-12 November, 2016.
The workshop is tailored to the needs of senior decision makers and executive staff of municipal and regional governments involved in urban planning and management of cities, mostly from the Asia-Pacific region. IUTC and UN-Habitat encourage mayors, municipal directors, managers and senior practitioners to apply. This course draws on the City Prosperity Index – CPI – developed by UN-Habitat as a tool to measure different dimensions of prosperity in cities, as well as to serve as a platform for policy dialogue and action planning for cities.
The CPI supports local and national governments’ efforts to compile reliable and timely information to support problem analysis and decision. According to the organizers, the course seeks to address and discuss the following themes:
- Urban indicators and decision supporting systems
- International experiences with urban indicators and urban policy monitoring such as EU City Audit,
- Green Cities Index, UKid Index, UN-Habitat Housing and Urban Indicators, Smart Cities Indicators;
- Urban growth and sustainability in a global, regional and local context
- Concept and applicability of city prosperity
- Case studies presentation and illustrations of sustainable cities from Europe, Asia and Latin America.
- City Prosperity Index-CPI: design, concept, pratice and policy implications
- Examples of CPI from Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America: lessons learned
- Building the City Prosperity Index: Index and Subindex of CPI.
The first two days of the workshop is designed as a compact to meet the needs of mayors, senior executives, officials, directors and decision makers involved in city government while setting the foundations for the subsequent program. It unpacks the role of indicators in decision making.
It also enables one to understand how indicators allows critical problems in cities to be visualized and objectively defined, providing the participants with a wide range of examples of indexes and indicators focusing on different aspects of urban development and illustrating outcomes in cities of the world.
*Click here to apply.