- UN-Habitat Launches Global Municipal Database
- Women’s Groups Discuss Engaging Women in Promoting Safety
- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
All posts tagged "Somalia"
- UN-Habitat in the Somali Region Newsletter: July – December 2016
In this issue: Market rehabilitation • Mogadishu Shaqeyso Training Programme • Training Puntland’s new local councils • Mogadishu Strategic Spatial Plan • Staff collaboration • Habitat III municipal finance presentation • Infrastructure planning • Diaspora and donor...
- Posted February 21, 2017
- UN-Habitat organises workshop to discuss urban land management law in Puntland
Garowe, 17 January 2017 – UN-Habitat recently organized a consultation workshop in Garowe to discuss the drafting of the Urban Land Management Law and the revision of regulations for Land Dispute Committees. Among the 43 participants were...
- Posted January 19, 2017
- Building Local Governance in Somalia Brochure
UN-Habitat has been active in the Somali urban sector for more than 30 years and currently is implementing a portfolio of interventions worth USD 40 million with communities, local authorities, state governments, and the Federal Government of Somalia across all Somali regions. The...
- Posted October 12, 2016
- Somaliland town’s master plan targets agriculture and bus terminal
Hargeisa, 5 October 2016–On 20 September 2016, UN-Habitat conducted a technical workshop in Hargeisa, Somaliland, to present and discuss the urban master plan of Gabiley, a small but important agricultural town in Somaliland. The plan is the...
- Posted October 5, 2016
- Joint programme continues to see real results in second phase
The United Nations Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery (JPLG) in Somalia involves UN-Habitat and four other UN agencies. The first phase of JPLG began in 2008 and ended in 2012. JPLG II (2013–2017)...
- Posted September 12, 2016
- Urban Impact – Issue 02
On this edition of Urban Impact, you will read about how UN-Habitat is supporting access to clean water for citizens of Hargeisa (Somaliland), Somalia, through the establishment of a new water system as well as constructing a new water supply and...
- Posted July 14, 2016
- Improving collaboration between water user associations and water service providers in Somaliland
Hargeisa 16 June 2015– Within the framework of the European Union–funded project titled Improved Urban Water Service Delivery in Somaliland, UN-Habitat recently organized a two-day workshop with water user associations and water service providers from around Somaliland....
- Posted June 16, 2016
- Harmonization of the Legal Systems Resolving Land Disputes in Somaliland and Puntland
The last several decades have seen a change in the legal landscape relating to land in Puntland and Somaliland. Traditionally, both regions have consisted primarily of large swaths of rural and agricultural land, owned in common by...
- Posted March 1, 2016
- Youth Event Launches the First Phase of the One Stop Youth Centre in Mogadishu
Mogadishu, 10 February 2016 – With seven out of ten people under the age of 35, Somalia is one of the youngest countries in the world. Youth represents both the future of the nation and one of...
- Posted February 10, 2016
- UN-Habitat in the Somali Region Newsletter – Issue No. 20
Updates on the latest urban interventions include: 1. Permanent homes for internally displaced families 2. Crucial Hargeisa water pipeline progress 3. Better markets for Mogadishu 4. Municipal finance and GIS 5. Mogadishu One-Stop Youth Centre 6. Urban...
- Posted February 9, 2016
- UN-Habitat’s One-Stop Youth Centre in Rwanda inspires Somali delegation
Rwanda, 12 January 2016 – UN-Habitat supported a Somali delegation on a learning tour to the Kimisagara One-Stop Youth Centre in Kigali, Rwanda, as part of its work with the Federal Government of Somalia and the UN...
- Posted January 12, 2016
- UN-Habitat supports ICT infrastructure in Somaliland
Hargeisa, 27 November 2015– Through the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery, UN-Habitat is supporting the implementation of a Financial Management Information System (FMIS) in Somaliland. FMIS is a World Bank–supported automation solution...
- Posted November 27, 2015
- UN-Habitat supports participatory workshop for youth in Mogadishu
Mogadishu, 16 October 2015— Growing up amidst conflict has left many Somali youth disillusioned and concerned about their current situation as well as their future. Recent gains in governance, peace, and security have seen hope gradually returning,...
- Posted October 16, 2015
- Partners hold vital training for land dispute tribunals in Somaliland
Hargeisa 29 September 2015– As part of the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance and Decentralized Service Delivery, the Ministry of Interior of Somaliland, UN-Habitat, and Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) hosted the first training for the Somaliland...
- Posted September 29, 2015
- Job Creation through Public Market Rehabilitation
Markets have long formed the epicentre of activity in communities around the globe, acting as sustainable drivers of urban development. As spaces where vendors can sell their goods to the local community, markets generate economic benefit for...
- Posted September 25, 2015
- Work begins on new water supply pipeline for Hargeisa
Hargeisa, 20 September 2015– The European Union, Somaliland Development Fund, UN-Habitat, and the Government of Somaliland on Sunday inaugurated the start of installation works for the new 23-km water supply pipeline from Geed Deeble to Hargeisa. On...
- Posted September 20, 2015
- UN-Habitat holds high level meeting on Somalia
Nairobi 16 September 2015—The Committee of Permanent Representatives (CPR) of UN-Habitat on Wednesday during its 58th Regular meeting as part of its Agenda, Items, held a High Level Dialogue on Somalia where the participants expressed optimism on...
- Posted September 17, 2015
- UN-Habitat in the Somali Region Newsletter – Issue 19
Updates on the latest urban interventions: 1. Title deeds for internally displaced persons 2. New shelter projects 3. Public spaces revamped in Mogadishu 4. Municipal finance, GIS, and solid waste management 5. Employment for youth
- Posted August 26, 2015
- The Mogadishu SECIL project comes to a close
Mogadishu, 5 June 2015 – Project partners – including the Mayor and Vice Mayors of Mogadishu and delegates from the European Union – recently attended the closing ceremony of the Sustainable Employment Creation and Improved Livelihoods for...
- Posted June 5, 2015
- UN-Habitat in the Somali Region Newsletter– Issue No. 18
Somaliland, which suffered devastation during the civil war, is trekking back to normalcy due to its internal resilience. Donor agencies are assisting it on this journey, and UN-Habitat has been supporting some critical development areas to enable...
- Posted January 23, 2015