- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
All posts tagged "Slum"
- UN-Habitat joins forces with partners to address living housing needs of refugees, migrants
Berlin, 04 July 2017– In order to address the rising tide of refugees and migrants over the years, UN-Habitat co-launched the Mediterranean City-to-City Migration (MC2CM) project that brings together experts and cities to contribute towards improved migration...
- Posted July 4, 2017
- Urban Indicators Guidelines
Urban indicators are regularly collected in a sample of cities worldwide in order to report on progress in the twenty key areas of the Habitat Agenda at the city level. Data collection is conducted through local and...
- Posted October 19, 2016
- Designing and Implementing Street-Led Citywide Slum Upgrading Programmes: A training module companion
With the number of slum dwellers expected to reach 889 million by 2020 it has been recognized that there is a need to move away from piecemeal project-based slum upgrading interventions. Instead, it is necessary to bring...
- Posted April 9, 2016
- “The federation model of community organizing” – Sheela Patel, Slum Dwellers International
In the past two decades through a process called “Enumeration” through which the members collect at city level data about slums, Slum Dwellers International have created a mechanism which serves to create a city wide network of...
- Posted January 14, 2016
- Too Pressed To Wait – Jane Weru, Executive Director Akiba Mashinani Trust
Jane Weru, Executive Director of Akiba Mashinani Trust, in her lecture “Too Pressed To Wait” discusses the water and sanitation hygiene systems in informal settlements in Nairobi, and how they are causing a strain on both the...
- Posted December 3, 2015
- UN-Habitat and AfDB in joint efforts to address Africa’s housing challenges
Nairobi 4 March 2014 – More than 200 participants from 40 African countries took part in three consultation workshops organized by the African Development Bank (AfDB) in collaboration with UN-Habitat to discuss the challenges and opportunities to...
- Posted March 4, 2015
- Mauritius launches slum upgrading project
Port Louis: A workshop was held last week to launch the Participatory Slum Upgrading Project in Mauritius. Donor: European Commission and, the Africa, Caribbean and Pacific SecretariatThe “Lansman Rezional” (Regional Launch), aptly dubbed “Anu Amelyor Nu Kartier” (Let’s...
- Posted November 24, 2014
- Slum Upgrading is all the rage in Kenya’s Kilifi County
Kilifi, Kenya, 24 September 2014 – Caleb Omondi is a music producer whose ears are always alert looking for the next talent he is going to release to the Kenyan public. The 30 year old father of one...
- Posted September 24, 2014
- Tanzania: National Urban Profile
The National Urban Profile focuses on the findings of a desk-study, interviews with key actors and a town consultation with key urban actors and institutions.
- Posted July 10, 2014
- Niger: Profil Urbain National
La structure urbaine de la plupart des centres urbains du Niger est caractérisée par l’existence de noyaux d’habitat anciens, auxquels se sont juxtaposés des lotissements successifs. La filière de l’auto-construction constitue le mode dominant de production des...
- Posted July 9, 2014
- How can we transcend slum urbanism in Africa? – Edgar Pieterse, University of Cape Town
In this lecture, Edgar Pieterse, professor at the University of Cape Town and the founding director of the African Centre for Cities, puts forward the concept of the underlying logic of slum urbanism. This logic in turn...
- Posted March 31, 2014
- Housing & slum upgrading
Today, 24% of the world's urban population lives in slums, and by 2030, about 3 billion people will be in need of proper housing. Find out more about what UN-Habitat is doing to overcome the housing challenges.
- Posted March 2, 2014
- Housing and Slum Upgrading Branch
The Housing and Slum Upgrading Branch develops strategies, policies, and programmes to provide access to adequate housing for all, improve the living conditions in existing slums, and curb the growth of new slums. It focuses on improving...
- Posted February 28, 2014
- Slum Upgrading Facility: Lessons on how to use guarantees to address risk and access commercial loans for slum upgrading
It is estimated that up to 1 billion people live in slums in the cities of the world – one sixth of humanity – and that the numbers are rising.
- Posted July 14, 2009
- Slum Upgrading Facility (SUF): Community Organisations Development Institute in Thailand
Housing in Thailand has generally not been considered the responsibility of local government.
- Posted July 14, 2009
- Slum Upgrading Facility (SUF): Land and Slum Upgrading
The multi-stakeholder and multi-sector approach of the Slum Upgrading Facility provides a forum for the voices of poor communities and slum dwellers to be heard.
- Posted July 14, 2009
- UN-Habitat and The Kenya Slum Upgrading Programme – Strategy Document
UN-HABITAT is one of the key partners of the Kenya Slum Upgrading Programme (KENSUP). KENSUP was initiated in 2001 by the Government of Kenya (GoK), and it is complemented and supplemented by UN-HABITAT through cooperation outlined in...
- Posted July 15, 2008
- Slum Upgrading Facility (SUF) , Local Finance Facilities
UN-HABITAT Slum Upgrading Facility Work plan 8. Explains what they are, how they will work and why they are important.
- Posted July 14, 2008