- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
All posts tagged "kenya"
- URBAN PLANNING IN KENYA: A Survey of Urban Planning Practices in the counties
In 2018,an estimated 27 percent (13 million) of Kenya’s population lived in cities and towns, of varied sizes, across the country. Towards the year 2050, this share will approach 50 percent of the total country population, which...
- Posted March 21, 2019
- Kenya’s Kisii Town validates Draft Solid Waste Management Strategy
Kisii, Kenya: The stakeholders in solid waste management in Kisii town, Kenya, provided inputs to the draft long term strategy for solid waste management in the town. The strategy was prepared UN-Habitat in consultation with Kisii town...
- Posted March 11, 2019
- MAIMUNAH MOHD SHARIF: Making use of our water bodies
- Posted February 13, 2019
- UN-Habitat and Kenya’s Makueni county sign pledge to empower youth and improve lives
10 January 2019, Nairobi, Kenya – UN-Habitat and Kenya’s County Government of Makueni have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to empower youth and women, improve planning, provide housing and basic services among other issues. The MoU...
- Posted January 16, 2019
- UN-Habitat and the County Government of Vihiga support capacity and skills development for women and youth
Nairobi, 19 December 2018 – UN-Habitat and the County Government of Vihiga in Kenya have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to support capacity and skills development for women and youth through youth empowerment and economic opportunity. It...
- Posted December 27, 2018
- Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Blue Economy Conference: Local governments have to play a role to ensure we achieve sustainability
The UN-Habitat Executive Director Ms.Maimunah Mohd Sharif speaking during the Governor and Mayors’ Convention on the second day of the Sustainable Blue Economy Conference 2018 being held at the Kenyatta International Convention Centre (KICC) Nairobi
- Posted November 27, 2018
- UN-Habitat joins Mombasa residents for World Cleanup Day
Mombasa, Kenya 18 September 2018--UN-Habitat Executive Director, Maimunah Mohd Sharif, joined hundreds of Mombasa residents to take part in a clean up campaign to mark World Cleanup Day. The worldwide event saw millions of people in over...
- Posted September 18, 2018
- Relief to residents of informal settlements in Mwanza, Tanzania
Mwanza, 28 June 2018–Residents of the informal settlements of Mabatini, Igogo and Kilimahewa in Mwanza, Tanzania have a reason to smile as they access safe sanitation and clean water in the rocky hills of Mwanza. Two-thirds of...
- Posted June 28, 2018
- UN-Habitat Pledges to Support Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
UN-Habitat will provide support to the 1st ever global Sustainable Blue Economy Conference (SBEC) that will be held in Nairobi, Kenya from 26 – 28 November 2018 at the Kenyatta International Conference Centre (KICC). The SBEC focuses on...
- Posted June 21, 2018
- Kenya’s third largest City signs collaboration agreement with UN-Habitat.
Nairobi, May 2018 – H. E. Prof Peter Anyang’ Nyong’o, Governor of Kisumu County on Friday, 18 May 2018 paid a courtesy call to the new Executive Director of UN-Habitat, Madam Maimunah Mohd Sharif in a bid...
- Posted May 24, 2018
- Japan’s representative opens Kalobeyei refugee centre
Kalobeyei, Kenya, May 2018—A representative of the government of Japan Yo Ito, alongside County and National Government officials officially opened the community center aimed at integrating refugees community with host community at the Kalobeyei refugee centre. There...
- Posted May 21, 2018
- Building the Youth-Building the Future: The Meru Youth Service Programme
Meru, Kenya May, 2018 – Meru County recently launched an ambitious 5-year plan to provide sustainable alternatives for youth who have been deprived of a key source of income as a result of the ban on miraa...
- Posted May 21, 2018
- The Government of Japan opens the UN-Habitat Community Center for refugees and host community in Kalobeyei Settlement.
NAIROBI, May 15, 2018 – UN-Habitat has been supporting integrated settlement of refugee and host communities in Kalobeyei, Kenya since 2016 with support from the Government of Japan. Youth have been involved in design and construction of...
- Posted May 15, 2018
- Kenya Habitat Country Programme Document 2018-2021
The Kenya Habitat Country Programme Document (HCPD) 2018-2021 is in line with the UN-Habitat mandate under the Governing Council Resolution 21/2 of 2007 aimed at aligning UN-Habitat’s normative and operational activities at country level. Through HCDPs, UN-Habitat...
- Posted January 25, 2018
- UN-Habitat hands over plans for Kalobeyei Settlement to Turkana County Government
Turkana, Kenya, 31 May 2017 – UN-Habitat invited ministers, Chief officers, directors and expert officers to discuss the content of the draft plan for Kalobeyei Refugee Resettlement, including potential issues and development projects leading up to implementing...
- Posted May 31, 2017
- Deputy Executive Director says UN-Habitat to localise global research work in refugee project
Kalobeyei, 13 February 2014– On a mission to the Kalobeyei Integrated Settlement Development Programme (KSEDP), UN-Habitat Deputy Executive Director Dr. Aisa Kirabo Kacyira announced that the agency would bring together policy and research work from a global...
- Posted February 14, 2017
- The Lake Victoria Water and Sanitation (LVWATSAN-Mwanza) Project: Mobilization and Institutional Facilitation of Sanitation (UN-Habitat)
Lake Victoria Water and Sanitation program (LVWATSAN) was first launched in 2004 by the Ministers responsible for water within the East Africa Community (EAC) with the aim of achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) for water and...
- Posted February 6, 2017
- Turkana County representatives in consultative meeting with UN-Habitat
Kalobeyei, 26 January 2017– Four delegates from the Turkana county executive recently had a consultative meeting with representatives from UN-Habitat over three projects being implemented in Kalobeyei Town in Turkana west Sub-County. Kalobeyei is the ward hosting...
- Posted January 25, 2017
- Rapid Planning Studio Workshop Boosts Local Planning Capacity in Turkana
Eldoret, 04 October 2016 – UN-Habitat organized a two day workshop on urban planning for technical officers from different Ministries and line departments of County Government of Turkana. The workshop took place in Eldoret Town and contributed to...
- Posted October 3, 2016