- UN-Habitat Launches Global Municipal Database
- Women’s Groups Discuss Engaging Women in Promoting Safety
- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
All posts tagged "Gender"
- Gender equality enhancer
Gender as opposed to sex, is a social identity. The term gender is not interchangeable with the term women. Rather, it is concerned with the relationship between men and women and draws attention to the distribution of...
- Posted May 14, 2018
- Cross-Cutting Issues Progress Report 2017
The UN-Habitat Strategic Plan 2014-2019 identifies four Cross-Cutting Issues to be mainstreamed: Climate Change, Gender Equality, Human Rights and Youth. The aim of mainstreaming these issues is to support country, regional and thematic offices, in order...
- Posted May 8, 2018
- Building Sustainable Communities: Leadership, Gender and the Environment Course
The international workshop is designed for women and men community leaders, grassroots development officers, national and local government officers, non-governmental development practitioners, and women’s organizations. Candidates are expected to have academic training or equivalent professional qualifications in...
- Posted July 10, 2017
- A collaborative partnership approach to affordable housing in Vancouver, Toronto, Portland, and Melbourne – Carolyn Whitzman
Based on comparative research in Melbourne, Toronto, Portland and Vancouver, this lecture will focus on how collaborative partnerships can successfully advocate for, and respond to, affordable housing programs. MP3 AUDIO: Carolyn Whitzman – A collaborative partnership approach to...
- Posted June 27, 2017
- Strengthening Policy for Young Women in the changing world of work
The position for women in Ugandan society could be considered one of power – lessness: influenced by a range of factors including social norms and practices that prevent their full participation in the world of work (WoW),...
- Posted May 15, 2017
- 2016 Cross-cutting Progress Report
"The Cross-cutting Progress Report 2016 covers UN-Habitat’s activities and achievements, during the course of 2016, in the way of its four cross-cutting issues: climate change, gender, human rights, and youth. The Report presents an overview of the...
- Posted February 14, 2017
- UN-Habitat gender journey
In 2012, UN-Habitat established the Advisory Group on gender issues (AGGI) as an independent body to advise the Executive Director on all issues related to gender in the agency’s work. One of the first requests of AGGI...
- Posted November 2, 2016
- Women promote inclusion in New Urban Agenda in first session of Habitat III
Quito, 15 October 2016 – The Women Assembly brought together grassroot women, gender champions, representatives from civil society, academia, international organisations and UN agencies to discuss the empowerment of women, gender equality and the New Urban Agenda....
- Posted October 16, 2016
- A Gender Equality Approach to Urban Development
Surabaya, 26 July 2016 – UN-Habitat, UN Women, Huairou Commission and Ministry of Public Works and Housing, Government of Indonesia organised a joint side event at Habitat III PrepCom3 in Surabaya, Indonesia – A Gender Equality...
- Posted July 28, 2016
- Gender Inclusion Critical for Sustainable Urbanization
28 June 2016 – A panel discussion held in New York this month brought together representatives of UN Women, UN-Habitat, Cities Alliance and the Huairou Commission to discuss results of the Expert Group Meeting on Gender Perspectives of...
- Posted June 28, 2016
- Linking Relief, Rehabilitation and Development (LRRD): UN-Habitat Gender-Responsive Engagement in Post-Conflict Contexts
Post-conflict contexts are situations “in which open warfare has come to an end. Such situations remain tense for years or decades and can easily relapse into large-scale violence”. A post-conflict context can further be characterized by negative...
- Posted May 20, 2016
- Communiqué on Linking Relief, Rehabilitation and Development: UN-Habitat Gender-Responsive Engagement in Post-Conflict Contexts
On 20 and 21 April, 25 international experts participated in The Expert Group Meeting (EGM), Linking Relief, Rehabilitation and Development (LRRD): UN-Habitat Gender-Responsive Engagement in Post-Conflict Contexts. The Meeting focused on the refinement of methodologies employed by...
- Posted May 13, 2016
- Barcelona meeting group meeting discuses gender and post-conflict
Barcelona, 27 April 2016 – An Expert Group Meeting (EGM), Linking Relief, Rehabilitation and Development (LRRD): UN-Habitat Gender-Responsive Engagement in Post-Conflict Contexts was recently held in Barcelona. The meeting focused on the refinement of methodologies employed by...
- Posted April 27, 2016
- UN-Habitat hosts public and gender event at New York meeting
New York, 23 March 2016— During the 60th session on the Commission for the Status of Women, UN-Habitat hosted the side event Safer Cities +20: Public Space and Gender. The side-event highlighted the importance of public space in...
- Posted March 23, 2016
- Cross-Cutting Issue Progress Report 2015
The Cross-Cutting issues focused within UN-Habitat are human rights, gender, the youth and climate change. As part of the UN family, UN-Habitat is mandated to respect, promote, and protect human rights in all of its activities. In...
- Posted March 10, 2016
- Gender Mainstreaming Brochure
- Posted February 19, 2016
- AGGI Progress Report 2015
AGGI is established as an independent advisory body to the UN-Habitat Executive Director, guided by principles of integrity, transparency, trust and accountability. AGGI has the role of advancing women’s empowerment and gender equality in sustainable urban development....
- Posted February 19, 2016
- “Gender perspectives in urban planning” – Ana Falú
Ana Falú from the National University of Cordoba – and the Coordinator of the UN-Habitat UNI Gender Hub – in this lecture discusses urban planning from a gender perspective, with emphasis on both who has the right...
- Posted February 1, 2016
- UN-Habitat representative vows support for Mexican women
Mexico City, December 4, 2015 — “We will strengthen the strategies of care for women and children victims of violence.” The phrase was said by the representative of UN-Habitat in this country, Erik Vittrup, during the signing...
- Posted December 4, 2015
- Policy and Plan for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women in Urban Development
This Policy and Plan for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women for 2014-19 (PPG) sets out UN-Habitat’s commitment and strategy to ensure that all its activities reflect and advance the global consensus on non-discrimination and equality...
- Posted November 30, 2015