Quito, 6 November 2017---The project “Supporting the post-earthquake reconstruction process in Ecuador” was initiated as an answer to the disaster caused by Ecuador’s earthquake which occured April of 2016 leaving in its wake a chain of destructions.
UN-Habitat provided technical advice to the Ministry of Urban Development and Housing of Ecuador (MIDUVI) in order to promote a sustainable medium and long-term reconstruction that guarantees an adequate urbanization of the affected cities and territories thanks to the donation provided by the Andalusian Agency for the International Cooperation and Development (AACID).
In mid-October, UN-Habitat presented the results of the Project in two roundtables in the field. The whole project process was made in a participatory manner joining different levels of government, organizations and national and international experts.
During the implementation of the project, UN-Habitat organised an Expert Group Meeting and several participatory workshops aimed at generating dialogue regarding Ecuadorian urban planning instruments and urban legislation procedures and how can they empower municipalities’ economic and urban development.
The main technical products delivered to the Municipality of Pedernales and to the Ministry of Urban Development and Housing of Ecuador were:
- Practical Handbook to Ecuadorian municipalities about the formulation of “Land Use and Management Plans”
- Preliminary proposal of the “Land Use and Management Plan” for Pedernales.
- Criteria and recommendations document for formulating strategic plans and / or projects of integral urban interventions in coastal areas affected by the earthquake.
- Preliminary assessment paper of potential zones for formulating strategic plans and / or projects of integral urban interventions in the coastal populated centers affected by the earthquake.
- Proposal document of Integral Project of Urban Development of the Coastal Rim, with emphasis in public space for the municipality of Pedernales.