- UN-Habitat Launches Global Municipal Database
- Women’s Groups Discuss Engaging Women in Promoting Safety
- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
Articles and Op-Ed by The Executive Director
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans The Standard Digital : Date - 2018-08-24 Maimunah Sharif and Raphael Obonyo
The world celebrates International Youth Day this month with calls for the creation of safe spaces for youth. Young people in Kenya comprise the largest part of the entire population, with three quarters being under the age of 30. The provision of space is critical for their positive development.
- New York, With 8.5 Million People, Among Cities Heading for a Sustainable Future INTER PRESS SERVICE News Agency : Date - 2018-07-17 Op. Ed by Maimunah Mohd Sharif and Achim Steiner
Maimunah Mohd Sharif is Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme and Achim Steiner is Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme
– New York has long been considered a pioneer – in fashion, art, music, and food, just to name a few. Now this city of 8.5 million is leading a shift in how we tackle today’s toughest global challenges like climate change, education, inequality, and poverty.
These issues are at the heart of the Sustainable Development Goals, an agenda agreed by all nations in 2015 that chart a path for people, prosperity, and the planet. This July, New York is joining countries at the United Nations to report on its progress and to share experiences, becoming the first city to do so.
It makes good sense for New York and other cities to spearhead progress on these global goals – including the need for decent housing, public transport, green spaces and clean air.
More than half of the world’s 7 billion people currently live in cities, and by 2050 that number will be closer to 70%. By 2030, there will be over 700 cities with more than a million inhabitants.
Urban growth is happening fastest in developing countries, which often struggle to meet the demand for quality municipal services and have little experience in planning. Rapid growth can also push up the prices of housing and energy, and can increase pollution, threatening the health and well-being of millions.
Cities are also financial powerhouses, generating 82% of global GDP, yet they also account for 70% of global greenhouse gas emissions, use 80% of the world’s energy, and generate over 1 billion tonnes of waste per year.
- Nos villes, acteurs clés du développement durable. Le Matin, Maroc : Date - 2017-12-22 Article by Dr. Joan Clos: Article by Dr. Joan Clos
- Cities of the Future – where Local Authorities Lead on Migration UN-HABITAT, IOM and UCLG : Date - 2017-11-20 Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos: Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos
- La Ciudad de Hoy Centro Urbano, Mexico : Date - 2017-08-28 Article by Dr. Joan Clos: Article by Dr. Joan Clos
- Argentina. ¨La urbanización como inversión, no como gasto¨ Mendoza Mdz : Date - 2017-06-24 Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos: Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos
- Argentina. ¨La urbanización como inversión, no como gasto¨ Telam : Date - 2017-06-24 Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos: Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos
- Urbanization: A Science to achieve Prosperity The Nation, Kenya : Date - 2017-05-10 Article by Dr. Joan Clos: Article by Dr. Joan Clos
- ¨Smart Urbanization- 5 Fundamental Pillars¨ Devex : Date - 2017-04-03 Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos: Op. Ed by Dr. Joan Clos
- The Magazine of the Union for the Mediterranean. ¨Sustainable Urban Development for Addressing Climate Changes Challenges in the Mediterranean Region¨ Urban Gateway : Date - 2016-10-31 Article by Dr. Joan Clos: Article by Dr. Joan Clos