- UN-Habitat Launches Global Municipal Database
- Women’s Groups Discuss Engaging Women in Promoting Safety
- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
Job Creation through Public Market Rehabilitation
Markets have long formed the epicentre of activity in communities around the globe, acting as sustainable drivers of urban development. As spaces where vendors can sell their goods to the local community, markets generate economic benefit for the vendors, as well as the local government through the levying of taxes.
Not only do they create employment and entrepreneurial opportunities, they also provide social and cultural services that facilitate social interaction for the wider community.