External Relations Adviser,(Nairobi),Deadline: 12 July 2017
CONSULTANT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Issued on 29th June 2017
External Relations Adviser
12 July 2017
The UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency responsible for Urbanization and Human settlements mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities. UN-Habitat helps the urban poor by transforming cities into safer and healthier places with better opportunities. It works with organizations at every level, including all spheres of government, civil society, private sector and the Habitat Agenda Partners.
The position is located in the External Relations Division (ERD), Office of Executive Director and Management. The External Relations Division promotes strategic alliances to support achievement of the goals of adequate shelter for all, and sustainable urbanization and human settlements development. ERD assists to advance UN-Habitat image and relationships with its partners and the public at large, and to build and strengthen partnerships, facilitate policy impact and developmental change, and increase delivery of programmes.
objective of the post:
To provide the Director of the External Relations Division with substantive advice and support with delivery of key ERD outputs, including innovative initiatives and preparations towards Habitat III.
scope of works and outputs:
Reporting to the Director of the External Relations Division, the Senior Adviser will provide substantive professional inputs related to the above-mentioned objective of the Post. He/She will be expected to carry out the following tasks:
- Provide support to UN-Habitat and ERD in matters related to the UN Secretary-General, including drafting of reports, resolutions, and other substantive documentation and activities;
- Provide support to UN-Habitat and ERD in liaising with UN-Habitat Liaison Offices, other UN Headquartered offices, entities, funds and programmes, including ECOSOC, ACABQ, CEB, and others.
- Provide substantive policy and strategic support to the Director in preparation for Habitat III and implementation of the New Urban Agenda.
- Support the establishment of a Multi-Partner Trust Fund for Sustainable Urban Development, including conceptualizing the MPTF framework; recruiting MPTF partners; and mobilizing resources.
- Support resource mobilization efforts to implement ERD’s work, including in relation to implementing UN-Habitat’s Inter-Agency and Partnerships Strategies, and Flagship Programmes/Initiatives.
- Develop and execute implementation plans for Inter-Agency and Partnerships Strategies, including through the development of MoUs, Cooperation Agreements, and other modalities.
- Support ERD to maintain close and regular communications with multi and bi-lateral donor agencies, including development banks, and private foundations, as well as with national governments and local authorities on programme development and coordination and support coherence between ERD Units.
- Provide support to the ERD Director in executing management decisions of the ED in coordination with other senior staff and management, as required.
- Provide strategic policy advice and support to the ERD Director in matters pertaining to the division’s work.
- Draft and/or edit briefs, reports and other written materials, as required.
- Assist in any other area required by the Director.
duration and timeframe:
The post is for an initial 6 months, from 7 July 2017 to 6 January 2018
On a day-to-day basis, the Adviser shall report to the Director of External Relations of UN-Habitat.
Professionalism: Good understandings of UN-Habitat’s focus areas, and a clear vision of UN-Habitat’s niche at national, regional and global levels. A high motivation for and appreciation of accomplishments. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
Communication: Good analytic, report writing and presentation skills. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work.
The successful candidate should also have the following general competencies and skills:
- Excellent research skills;
- Excellent organizational and planning skills;
- Excellent analytical English writing skills; and,
- Ability to work with various colleagues, independently, and self-motivating.
- University degree in a relevant discipline for urban issues, policy, communications, and/or journalism;
- At least 10 years of combined professional experience in the private sector, journalism/communications, and public sector, with relevant knowledge of urban issues;
- Proven technical and advisory experience in both managing global initiatives and coordinating with donors and partners on this topic.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in written and oral English and French is required. Knowledge of other UN official languages is an advantage.
Payments will be based on deliverables over the consultancy period. There are set remuneration rates for consultancies. The rate is determined by functions performed and experience of the consultant. The fees will be paid as per agreement.
Applications should include:
Please also be advised that since April 15th 2010, applicants for consultancies must be part of the
All applications should be submitted to: