ABOUT THE WORLD METROPOLITAN DAY 2020
To mark the anniversary of the Montréal Declaration on Metropolitan Areas (2015), on October 7th, UN-Habitat & Metropolis commemorate World Metropolitan Day. Every year, on that date, we celebrate metropolitan spaces worldwide and promote cooperation to achieve more sustainable and integrated territorial development.
In a global context characterized by the COVID-19 pandemic, the #WorldMetropolitanDay2020 will provide the occasion to discuss the challenges and opportunities that metropolitan governments have in addressing current scenarios. Each participant will focus its #WorldMetropolitanDay2020 virtual event on one or more Sustainable Development Goal(s), framing them in the current emergency context.
#WorldMetropolitanDay2020 calls all metropolitan governments and interested institutions (private companies, academic institutions, civil society organizations, multilateral entities, city networks, urban influencers) worldwide to join the celebration of #WorldMetropolitanDay2020 by organising a virtual event and shine a light on all initiatives aimed at accelerating a positive transformation of urban and territorial realities as a response to the COVID-19 emergency.
WHAT TYPE OF VIRTUAL EVENT CAN YOU ORGANISE?
• Online workshops or webinars – make it educational and help your audience to learn all about your metropolis crisis management and recovery actions by participating in your event.
• Online panel – get your audience involved in the discussion by holding an online panel with guest experts.
• Interviews – do you know someone has a wealth of knowledge about metropolises phenomena and current situation? Interview them and share it with your online audience.
• Social media – looking for something more informal? Engage on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram live.
Can’t hold a virtual event this year? There are plenty of ways you can still get involved:
• Raise awareness about the metropolisation processes worldwide and why the Sustainable Development Goals must be at the heart of crisis management and recovery process.
• Advocate your community to be part of the campaign.
• Use and adapt our campaign materials.
• Make some noise on #WorldMetropolitanDay2020 on social media as an influencer! Check our social media channels @metropolis_org @UNHABITAT and like and share our posts. Post a video or photo showing what your metropolis is doing using the campaign hashtag.
Please, feel free to share information and materials of this campaign. You can post them on your communications platforms (website, social media, etc.):
• World Metropolitan Day 2020 site: https://www.metropolis.org/campaigns/world-metropolitan-day
• Social media tiles: banners and GIFs: https://www.metropolis.org/themes/metropolis/WMD_2020.zip
• Hashtag: #WorldMetropolitanDay2020
KEEP IN TOUCH!
Make photos, videos and collect information during your virtual event! We need your contribution to spread the metropolitan debate worldwide!
Please, after the event, send your material to email@example.com
Tag us on social media @metropolis_org @UNHABITAT using the hashtag #WorldMetropolitanDay2020
Several metropolises around the world
Urban October – Local Observation