- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
- Namibian habitat committee visits UN-Habitat
- Urban experts and practitioners trained in monitoring SDG 11 indicators
EOI-CONSTRUCTION OF SHELTER UNITS IN KALOBEYEI, TURKANA COUNTY
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Community Based Stabilization Programme for Resettlement and Integration of Refugee Communities in Kalobeyei, Turkana County
CONSTRUCTION OF SHELTER UNITS IN KALOBEYEI, TURKANA COUNTY
Call for Expressions of Interest from Non-Profit Organizations
The UN-Habitat Programme is seeking EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI) from qualified and registered local and international Non Profit Organizations for the implementation of community mobilization supporting UN-Habitat in achieving the “a sustainable human settlement that integrates refugees and host communities” and “countering conflicts between refugees and host communities, and promote a minimum socio-economic stability” withinthe project Community Stabilization Programme for Resettlement and Integration of Refugee Communities in Kalobeyei, Turkana County.
DURATION: 18 months, starting date 1 December 2017
United Nations Human Settlement Programme (UN-Habitat) aims to support provision of adequate shelter for all, and sustainable human settlements development in an urbanizing world. In line with this mandate, UN-Habitat has been supporting member states including Kenya in developing well-planned and efficient human settlements, with adequate access to housing, infrastructure, and universal access to employment and basic services such as water, energy, and sanitation.
In 2016, UN-Habitat partnered with UNHCR and Turkana County Government to prepare an integrated spatial development framework including a spatial plan for Kalobeyei Settlement that would reduce conflict and promote social cohesion among communities. UN-Habitat is engaging in a second phase of the project, designed to address host community stabilization and development.
UN-Habitat promotes sustainable approach to building durable housing units in the new Kalobeyei site, to provide low-cost partial solutions that residents can expand and complete them. Durable shelter units will be constructed, while aiding not only in shelter provision but as well in generating socio-economic growth and opportunities for refugees and host communities.
The materials for the shelters will be produced on site with low cost and labor intensive technology, allowing the inhabitants to build their own houses, meeting the minimum standards with reference to UN-Habitat and UNHCR housing guidance. This also allows the community members to learn construction techniques and to further add extensions as required.
The design for shelter, ease of construction and maintenance processes will have to consider the likelihood for expansions of businesses, the nature of work, the proximal relationship between private and public space that can contribute to private sector business creation which will encourage greater integration of host communities and refugees.
- Planned activities:
In order to respond to the need of safe and durable housing, new design models for durable shelter will be provided by UN-Habitat. The implementation partner is required to support the following activities:
- Implementation and construction in a participatory manner supporting integration of refugees and host communities following the design provided;
- Procurement and transport of materials;
- Organize participatory processes and supervise construction;
- Facilitate construction skills development and support local job creation;
- The statement of experience and capability, and the indicative budgets should contain, but need not be limited to the following:
- Institutional and Technical Information:
- Description of the organization`s main activities;
- A description of the methodology, addressing social, technical and sustainability aspects included in a tentative work plan;
- Copy of the organization statute;
- At least two consecutive years financial statements;
- Proof of certification as a nonprofit organization
- Indicative Budgets
Interested parties should email their Expression of Interest and supporting documents to oana.baloi[at]unhabitat.org before Monday 20th November 2017, COB. Expression of interest without supporting documents will not be considered.
Expressions of interest should be referenced as “EOI –Construction of Shelter Units in Kalobeyei, Kenya”.