- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
Cooperation agreement promotes sustainable use of underground urban space
Nairobi, 22 September 2014: A memorandum of understanding signed earlier this month with Associated research Centers for the Urban Underground Space (ACUUS) aims to raise awareness of best practices of the sustainable uses of underground space for urban development.
The agreement specifically focuses on adequate urban drainage management, city planning, and sustainable mobility solutions, promoting their use and best practice among decision-makers and local authorities.
Under the agreement, ACUUS and UN-Habitat will collaborate and work together to share and transfer the benefits, lessons learned, best practices, advantages and financing opportunities of underground space maintenance and development for its sustainable usage within a context of urban development, resilient cities and disaster risk reduction.
The collaboration will make use of both organisations’ experiences and knowledge in the field.
The Associated research Centers for the Urban Underground Space (ACUUS) is an international non-governmental association actively promoting partnership amongst all actors in the field of planning, management, research and uses of urban underground space. The ACUUS strives to bind these public, private and university levels into a cohesive network of mutual cooperation for the benefit of all parties involved.