Call for Expressions of Interest; WASH in Disaster Prone Communities in Northern Ghana: Fast Track Activities
|Download as PDF here|
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
WASH in Disaster Prone Communities in Northern Ghana: Fast Track Activities
Call for Expressions of Interest from Non-Profit Organizations to implement Water Supply Improvement Works in 103 Communities in four (4) Lots
Date first published: 8 March 2016
Deadline for submissions of EoIs: 22 March, 2016
With support from the Department of Global Affairs of the Government of Canada (DGA) UN-Habitat is working jointly with UNICEF, UNDP and WHO to implement the Programme, “Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) in Disaster Prone Communities in Ghana” Programme. The programme focuses on providing resilient WASH facilities and improving access to water, sanitation and hygiene for around 200,000 people living in 265 communities dispersed amongst 24 districts of the 3 Northern Regions in Ghana – Upper West, Upper East and Northern regions.
It is planned to continue providing resilient water supply to the remaining 103 communities out of the 265 beneficiary communities. The extent of the interventions comprises:
- construction and installation of new facilities such as mechanized boreholes or boreholes fitted with hand-pumps
- repairs and rehabilitation of boreholes and hand-dug wells fitted with hand pumps in the communities;
- Repair and rehabilitation of platforms around hand pumps;
- repairs of drainage and soakaways;
- Training of community water and sanitation management teams in simple maintenance tasks;
- Raising community awareness of water, sanitation and hygiene
- Water quality testing.
In all cases the Implementation Partner is expected to work closely with the communities to ensure the sustainability of the new/upgraded facilities.
It is expected that the selected “water points” will be upgraded to a standard design and retrofitted to ensure resilience to disaster occurrences (especially flooding events) the improved water sources will be tested for yield and water quality and required to conform to the National Community Water and Sanitation (NCWSP) guidelines.
Prospective Partners are asked to note that the works in the 103 communities are being packaged into four (4) Lots, and a separate Agreement of Cooperation will be concluded for each Lot. The Lots are as follows:
Lot 1: 22 communities located in Upper West Region
Lot 2: 21 communities located in Upper East and part of Northern Region
Lot 3: 26 communities located in Northern Region
Lot 4: 34 communities located in Saboba and Bunkpurugu/Nyonyoo districts of Northern Region
The list of the communities, by Lot, is provided in Annex 1 to this Request.
UN-Habitat now invites Expressions of Interest from Non-Profit Organizations, including International NGOs and Governmental Organisations.
Interested Organizations should also provide a statement of their experience and capability, including a proposed work-plan, and an indicative budget in accordance with the guidelines below.
Prospective Partners can express interest in any or all of the Lots.
The statement of experience and capability and the indicative budgets should contain, but need not be limited to the following:
- Institutional and Technical Information
- Experience of the organization in the area of community-based water supply and sanitation initiatives. In this regard, a list of recently completed WASH Projects completed would be helpful;
- A description of the methodology, addressing social, technical and sustainability aspects;
- A proposed work plan;
- Resumes of the proposed personnel that will be assigned to work on the programme;
- The support/ contribution the organization is willing to make including, cash and in kind; (contribution in terms of staff time, office space and equipment and other support in cash and in-kind should be expressed in monetary terms)
- Copies of statements of annual budget and annual reports of the previous 5 years;
- Copy of two latest audited reports, and
- Governance and organizational structure of the Organization
- Indicative Budgets
A proposed budget for each Lot, in accordance with the template attached at Annex 2. The budget should not exceed market rates for similar work in northern Ghana. The proposed Budget will form the basis for the negotiation of the final budget which will form part of the Agreement of Cooperation.
- UN-Habitat Support
UN-Habitat will contribute financial resources from its component of the Programme Budget towards this Agreement of Cooperation.
- Overall Timeframe
The work outlined in this EOI is scheduled to commence by 1 April 2016 and completed within ten (10) months.
- Submission Requirements and Guidelines
Expressions of Interest must be delivered in electronic format no later than 22 March 2016 to the e-mail addresses given below:
EOIs received on or before the 18 March 2016 shall be evaluated and Implementing Partners who are deemed qualified and who have submitted budgets in accordance with market rates for similar work, will be shortlisted. The shortlisted implementing partners shall subsequently receive the final solicitation document for the submission of full proposals for the Agreement of Cooperation.
- Contact Information
Eric Moukoro, Regional Technical Adviser,
Phone +233 544 7918 62
Please note that this EOI notice does not constitute a solicitation. UN-Habitat reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time in the Expressions of Interest/or solicitation process.
Submitting a reply to an EOI does not guarantee that a Cooperation Partner will be considered for receipt of the solicitation when issued and only Implementing Partners who are deemed qualified by UN-Habitat upon completion of evaluation of submission, will receive the final solicitation document.