United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Call for Expressions of Interest (EoI) for Cooperation Partners for Agreement of Cooperation
Urban Electric Mobility Initiative: A Tool Kit for Cities
Date first published: 19 October 2015
Deadline for submissions of EoIs: 3 November 2015
UN-Habitat during the UN Climate Summit held in September 2014 launched the Urban Electric Mobility Initiative. This was developed in consultation with the International Energy Agency, the Partnership on Sustainable Low-Carbon Transport (SLoCaT), the UN Global Compact, the Wuppertal Institute of Climate, Energy and Environment and others. The initiative endorsed at an Experts Group Meeting held in Barcelona in April 2014 which saw the participation of country, city and industry representatives, aims at the wide-spread adoption of Electric Mobility by cities in the context of better, more compact urban planning. This goal is to be achieved through the collaborative action between demand and supply side actors- cities and industry respectively. Apart from the relevance of urban planning – which will determine appropriate city forms, optimal densities and inter-modal connectivity the initiative will also contribute towards delinking growth from carbon emissions. The UEMI Action Plan can be seen at: http://www.un.org/climatechange/summit/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/…
- UEMI Tool-Kit for Cities
In its efforts to support the greater uptake of Electric Vehicles in the context of compact city planning (The Avoid-Shift-Improve approach) and a move to cleaner sources of energy UN-Habitat proposes to develop a “Tool-kit” that will guide city officials in carrying out an assessment of the potential for E-mobility and measures that they can take in promoting its uptake and monitoring its impact. Through this notice, UN-Habitat invites Expressions of Interest from academic or research institutions; Not-for-Profit Organizations; Governmental and Inter-Governmental organisations to develop such a tool-kit. The following tasks are envisaged to be carried out by the implementation partner under an Agreement of Cooperation.
- Review of good practices undertaken by cities to improve the uptake of E-mobility in a balanced Avoid-Shift-Improve approach including in developing country cities ;
- Assess the potential of implementing the UEMI in three sample cities;
- Through a consultative process involving at least one partner city, develop a plan for the uptake of e-mobility;
- Based on the assessment and plan, develop a draft ‘tool-kit” and conduct a peer review by experts and cities ;
- Disseminate the toolkit at appropriate international forums.
The EOI should contain, but not be limited to the following:
- Overall experience of the organization in the area of Electric Mobility;
- A short conceptual proposal on how the organisation plans to develop and implement this initiative including scope and nature of work;
- The support/ contribution the organization is willing to make including cash and in kind; (contribution in terms of staff time, office space and equipment and other support in cash and in-kind should be expressed in monetary terms.)
- Copies of statement of annual budget and annual reports of the previous 5 years;
- Copy of two latest audited reports, and
- Governance and organizational structure; experience and qualifications of key professional staff and infrastructure facilities of the organization.
UN-Habitat will contribute financial resources to the tune of USD 30,000 towards this Agreement of Cooperation (only for Academic institutions, Not for Profit, Governmental and Inter-Governmental Organisations).
- Overall Timeframe
The work outlined in this EOI is scheduled to commence by 18 November 2015 and completed within six months.
- Submission Requirements and Guidelines
Expression of Interest must be delivered in electronic format no later than 03 November 2015 to the e-mail address given below:
- Contact Information
Stefanie HolzwarthUrban Basic Services BranchUrban Mobility UnitUnited Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi, KenyaMobile: +254-702721027Office: +254-20-7623125Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that this EOI notice does not constitute a solicitation. UN-Habitat reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time in the Expressions of Interest/or solicitation process.
Submitting a reply to an EOI does not guarantee that a Cooperation Partner will be considered for receipt of the solicitation when issued and only Cooperation Partners who are deemed qualified by UN-Habitat upon completion of evaluation of submission, will receive the final solicitation document.