- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
Call for Expressions of Interest for Membership in Advisory Group of Waste Wise Cities Campaign
Date first published: 3 April 2019
Deadline for submissions of Expressions of Interest: 24 April 2019
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is the United Nations agency for human settlements and sustainable urban development. In line with the Sustainable Development Goals and the New Urban Agenda, among other things, UN-Habitat seeks to assist cities in improving their solid waste management. On World Habitat Day, 1st October 2018 UN-Habitat launched “Waste Wise Cites Campaign”. Through the Campaign UN-Habitat seeks to raise awareness and greater support for municipal solid waste management among cities, local and national governments by creating a broad alliance and platform for dialogue and exchange, as well as to monitor progress on the waste related Sustainable Development Goals. As part of the campaign a database on Municipal Solid Waste in the World’s Cities is also to be developed.
Proposed Advisory Group for Waste Wise Cities Campaign
UN-Habitat proposes to establish an “Advisory Group” to support its Waste Wise Cities Campaign and invites Expressions of Interest from:
- UN agencies, funds and programmes
- Local governments and city networks
- scientific community (researchers, academia, professionals)
- NGOs, CBOs, trade unions, foundations and philanthropists
- private sector
- other intergovernmental agencies, financial institutions, development banks.
The Advisory Group is expected to work on a voluntary basis and to support Waste Wise Cities Campaign through strategic advice; outreach to constituents and stakeholders on the objectives of the campaign; participate in periodic assessments of the campaign. It is furthermore expected that the Advisory Group will take an active role in the Campaign by for example:
- Participating in working groups (maximum two meetings/year);
- Engaging in dialogues related to the implementation of the New Urban Agenda and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Contributing to the implementation of Campaign activities engaging their institutions in the endeavour whenever appropriate;
- Promoting the exchange of good practices to support cities in achieving the goals and targets for integrated sustainable solid waste management at the local level;
- Contribute to the selection of Waste Wise Cities
Accordingly, Expressions of interest to join the Advisory Group for Waste Wise Cities Campaign are invited from UN agencies, city networks and local governments, scientific community, NGOs, CBOs, trade unions, foundations and philanthropists, private sector and other intergovernmental agencies, financial institutions, development banks. Expressions of interest must contain but need not be limited to the following information:
- Overall background or interest of the institution in the area of solid waste management;
- The support/ contribution the institution is willing to make;
- Governance and organizational structure; experience and qualifications of proposed focal person;
Upon selection UN-Habitat will enter into an Agreement of Cooperation with the selected entity. The members of the Advisory Group will not receive any renumeration for their services.
The work outlined in this EOI is scheduled to commence in May 2019 with the first meeting of the Advisory Group in Nairobi, Kenya. Currently, Waste Wise Cities Campaign is planned to run until the end of 2023.
Submission Requirements and Guidelines
Expression of Interest must be delivered in electronic format no later than 24 April 2019 to the e-mail address given below:
Urban Basic Services Branch
United Nations Human Settlements Programme
P.O. Box 30030, Nairobi, Kenya
Please note that this Expression of Interest notice does not constitute a solicitation. UN-Habitat reserves the right to change or cancel this requirement at any time in the Expressions of Interest process.
Submitting a reply to an Expression of Interest does not guarantee that a Cooperation Partner will be considered.