- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
- Namibian habitat committee visits UN-Habitat
- Urban experts and practitioners trained in monitoring SDG 11 indicators
Call for EoI from Non-Profit Organizations: “Community Center sub-project” within the project ‘Community Stabilization Programme
United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat)
Community Based Stabilization Programme for Resettlement and Integration of Refugee Communities in Kalobeyei, Turkana County
CONSTRUCTION OF COMMUNITY CENTER AND ESTABLISHING OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE MECHANISM IN KALOBEYEI, TURKANA COUNTY
Call for Expressions of Interest from Non-Profit Organizations
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) is seeking EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI) from qualified and registered local and international Non Profit Organizations for the implementation of “Community Center sub-project”withinthe project ‘Community Stabilization Programme for Resettlement and Integration of Refugee Communities in Kalobeyei, Turkana County.’
DURATION: 10 months, starting date 1 May 2018
UN-Habitat aims to support provision of adequate shelter for all, and sustainable human settlements development in an urbanizing world. In line with this mandate, UN-Habitat has been supporting member states including Kenya in developing well-planned and efficient human settlements, with adequate access to housing, infrastructure, and universal access to employment and basic services such as water, energy, and sanitation.
In 2016, UN-Habitat partnered with UNHCR and Turkana County Government to prepare an integrated spatial development framework including a spatial plan for Kalobeyei Settlement that would reduce conflict and promote social cohesion among communities. UN-Habitat was engaged in designing to address host community stabilization and development. One of its features was to establish a community center which can promote social cohesion and sustainable livelihood. The communities have come up with ideas of desired functions of the facilities, and a part of the building has been constructed.
In this phase, it is expected to fine-tune the plan in consultation with communities, to construct its annexes, to fulfill necessary equipment for the facilities, and ensure sustainable operation and maintenance (O&M) mechanism is in place.
- Planned activities:
The activities will provide support for community empowerment through offering a space for conducting activities. The space will comply with the national building regulations and will include public participation in all stages of implementation. The following activities are key to implementing the Community Centre design and construction:
- Ensure close collaboration with UN-Habitat Kakuma Sub-Office for aligning the process with UN-Habitat approaches;
- Facilitate community participation in all aspects of the project, foster a sense of ownership in the community, and ensure their needs are reflected in the actual facilities.
- Organize a planning workshop and plan financially feasible contents and specifications of the community center and a sustainable mechanism for O&M of the facility in a participatory manner in collaboration with UN-Habitat
- Procure necessary materials for construction and equipment for the facility.
- Construct the Community Center with community participation according to the plan in a timely manner.
- Ensure O&M mechanism is in place before completion of the facility.
- The statement of experience and capability, and the indicative budgets should contain, but need not be limited to the following:
- Institutional and Technical Information:
- Description of the organization’s main activities;
- A description of the methodology, addressing social, technical and sustainability aspects included in a tentative work plan;
- Copy of the organization statute;
- At least two consecutive years financial statements;
- Proof of certification as a nonprofit organization
- Indicative Budgets
Interested parties should email their Expression of Interest and supporting documents to oana.baloi[at]un.org before 23rd April 2018, COB. Expression of interest without supporting documents will not be considered.
Expressions of interest should be referenced as “EOI – Construction of Community Center and Establishing Operation and Maintenance Mechanism in Kalobeyei, Kenya”.