- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
Bujumbura hosts sub committee meeting on housing, urban development and settlements
Bujumbura, 15 April 2019 – Ahead of the inception meeting of International Urbanization Experts to discuss elaboration of Urban Model Law meeting in Nairobi, Kenya on the 30 and 31 July 2018, the steering committee met to discuss the modalities of the model law and specifically the Terms of Reference for the consultant.
The steering committee comprised representatives of Member States, African Union Commission, UNECA, UN-Habitat and Experts. The meeting was held in the capital city of Bujumbura in Burundi on 4-5 April 2019.
The meeting participants reviewed the Terms of reference for the Model Law in Africa on Housing, Urban Development and Human Settlements. Subsequent presentations were made on mapping of the potential role and responsibilities of partner institutions, resource mobilization strategy, HUD Approved Work Plan, etc. Africa’s representation and preparation for UN-Habitat Assembly was discussed as a major priority as participants stressed the need for Member States to be further sensitised via the Africa Diplomatic Group in Nairobi.
Participants agreed on the next steps for the African Model Law on Housing, Urban Development and Human Settlements and follow up activities. The Chair of the HUD Sub-committee and the STC8 Secretariat was also delegated to work in partnership with UN-Habitat to backstop the Africa region preparatory meeting on Sunday 26 May 2019, and subsequent meetings of the Africa Group during the UN-Habitat Assembly.
The meeting concluded with an official transfer of the Housing and Urban Development Sub-committee leadership from the Government of Lesotho to the Government of Burundi.
The next meeting shall be convened on the margins of the UN-Habitat Assembly in May 2019.