- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost waters’ potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
- Central and North Asian Countries Participate in Consultations on Asia and...
Kenya: Mavoko Urban Profile
Mavoko is situated in Machakos District some 25 km south east of Nairobi. It has an estimated population of 65,000 and is popularly known as Athi River. Mavoko appears to offer a good opportunity for the expansion of the Nairobi Metropolitan Region and therefore, the area is of strategic importance.
Mavoko’s rapid growth, however, has led to an explosive growth of slums around strategic locations close to industries and other places of employment.
Submit your review