- Designing public spaces using Minecraft brings refugees and local communities...
- UN Habitat Commits to Implementing the Global Compact on Migration
- Residents, diplomats and UN-Habitat staff join hands to clean up Nairobi
- UN-Habitat Executive Director unveils Youth Declar-Action at the Sustainable...
- Blue economy forum will boost water’s potential
- Op-Ed By Maimunah Mohd Sharif on Sustainable Blue Economy Conference
- UN-Habitat leads Africities session on effective local government planning for...
- Chinese Cities Improving in Global Competitiveness
- Resilient cities, a matter of planning for and with children
- UN-Habitat Executive Director: World Cities Day Message
Evaluation of World Cities Day (8/2018)
This evaluation of World Cities Day (WCD) is mandated by Member States through paragraph 24 of the General Assembly resolution 68/239, and was to have been submitted as part of the UN Secretary-General’s report to the 71st Session of the United Nations (UN) General Assembly (GA). The evaluation was postponed in order to identify new ways of implementing the WCD in the context of the New Urban Agenda and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Objectives of the evaluation are:
- Assess the performance of WCD in terms of strategic relevance; nature of external context; shared responsibilities; efficiency and effectiveness (which comprises assessments of the delivery of activities/outputs and achievement of outcomes); likelihood of impact; and sustainability.
- Assess the working arrangements, resources, planning and how these may be impacting on effectiveness of the WCD in raising awareness on urbanization trends and challenges.
- Assess appropriateness of coordination of outreach activities to mobilize governments and other stakeholders for WCD as a key platform to make contributions to global efforts in building sustainable cities.
- Identify lessons and propose forward-looking recommendations to improve performance of WCD
Submit your review