- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
- Namibian habitat committee visits UN-Habitat
- Urban experts and practitioners trained in monitoring SDG 11 indicators
All posts by Lynne.Karago
- Reforming Urban Laws in Africa: A Practical Guide
This guide aims to create and strengthen law-making processes that build and secure the legal rights of all people living in all urban areas to be governed fairly, live safely, earn a living and participate fully in...
- Posted September 4, 2018
- Preparing Cities to Monitor and Report on Goal 11
Nairobi, 17 July 2018 – With support from UN-Habitat’s Global Urban Observatory and the Africa Center for Statistics at the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA), two cities in Tunisia are developing frameworks for monitoring and...
- Posted July 17, 2018
- Call for Case Studies: Urban and Territorial Planning for Health
UN-Habitat invites national governments, local authorities, planning professionals, and civil society organizations to be part of our IG-UTP Compendium of Inspiring Practices: Health Edition by sharing with us case studies on urban and territorial planning (strategies, plans,...
- Posted May 21, 2018
- Winners of the 11th cycle of the Dubai International Award for Best Practices to Improve the Living Environment
20 February 2018 – UN-Habitat and Dubai Municipality are pleased to jointly announce the winners of the 2017 edition of the Dubai International Award for Best Practices. The Award recognizes outstanding initiatives that are making valuable contribution...
- Posted February 20, 2018
- Jury begins evaluation for the 11th Cycle of the Dubai International Award
Dubai Municipality 16 January 2018—A five-member jury drawn by the Dubai Award Secretariat as well as UN-Habitat this week began the evaluation process for the 11th cycle of the Dubai International Award for Best Practices. The Jury...
- Posted January 16, 2018
- Preparing Cities in Africa to Monitor and Report on Goal 11
Nairobi, 12 January 2018– At the close of 2017, Botswana and Tunisia were getting prepared to monitor and report on SDG 11, with the support of the UN-Habitat’s Global Urban Observatory team and the UNECA to monitor...
- Posted January 12, 2018
- Distinguishing slum from non-slum areas to identify occupants’ issues
30 November 2017, Bellagio Italy – Despite an estimated one billion people around the world living in slums, many global data collection exercises including censuses do not track spatial distinctions of populations living in places identified as...
- Posted November 30, 2017
- UN-Habitat highlights the New Urban Agenda at UNECE meeting
Geneva 16 November 2017–Representatives of Armenia, Moldova, Serbia and Tajikistan last week attended the joint UN-Habitat and UNECE final regional workshop of the UN Development Account 9th tranche project “Strengthening national capacities for sustainable housing and urban...
- Posted November 16, 2017
- Riverbank Filtration Project for Clean Water Production in Minya, Egypt
In line with the Hayat Project for Local Development objectives, UN Habitat in partnership with ‘Minya Drinking Water and Sanitation Company’ MDWSC and through technical guidance of the Holding Company for Water and Waste Water aims to...
- Posted October 9, 2017
- Localizing the Sustainable Development Goal 11 in Asian Cities: planning and implementation of housing and slum upgrading
Dates: 15-20 November 2017 Deadline for applications: 1 October 2017 UN-Habitat and IUTC has been closely collaborating in training and capacity building for a decade. The next up-coming training offers an intensive, dynamic and rich learning environment...
- Posted September 18, 2017
- Reducing speeds for better mobility and quality of life – CarlosFelipe Pardo
The lecture will address the issue of having more appropriate speeds in cities while increasing efficiency and livability. MP3 AUDIO: CarlosFelipe Pardo – Reducing speeds for better mobility and quality of life SYNOPSIS Issues which the lecture addresses...
- Posted August 1, 2017
- Stand up for public space – Luisa Bravo
Luisa Bravo in this lecture advocates for that public space in cities is a common good, meant to be open, inclusive and democratic – a right for everybody. MP3 AUDIO: Luisa Bravo – Stand up for public space SYNOPSIS...
- Posted July 25, 2017
- UN-Habitat and DLR sign Memorandum of Understanding on Sustainable Urban Mobility
Berlin, 18 July 2017 – The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Institute of Transport Research of the German Aerospace Center (DLR) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding that aims to promote cooperation between the...
- Posted July 19, 2017
- The tale of Broadville and Narrowtown: Why we need a global, people-based definition of cities and settlements – Lewis Dijkstra
Lewis Dijkstra from the European Commission in this lecture explains why without a global definition of cities, urban indicators are hopelessly distorted and proposes the degree of urbanization as new method to solve this problem. MP3 AUDIO: Lewis Dijkstra...
- Posted July 18, 2017
- Calling for applications: 2017 Dubai International Award for Best Practices
Nairobi, 18 July 2017 — The Dubai Municipality and UN-Habitat is currently calling for submissions to the 11th round of the 2017 Dubai International Award for Best Practices to Improve the Living Environment. The 2017 award is...
- Posted July 18, 2017
- Improving urban tenure security and property rights – Geoffrey Payne
In this lecture, Geoffrey Payne distills thirty years of work on land tenure and property rights to provide a conceptual and methodological framework for assessing the issues involved and offers policy options with practical examples. MP3 AUDIO: Geoffrey Payne – Improving urban...
- Posted July 11, 2017
- Building Sustainable Communities: Leadership, Gender and the Environment Course
The international workshop is designed for women and men community leaders, grassroots development officers, national and local government officers, non-governmental development practitioners, and women’s organizations. Candidates are expected to have academic training or equivalent professional qualifications in...
- Posted July 10, 2017
- A compass for cities – Fernando Murillo
In this lecture Fernando Murillo from University of Buenos Aires discusses the “Compass” of cities – a participatory methodology for policy making . It consists of different indicators represented graphically as a “Compass”, combining four fundamental dimensions dealing...
- Posted July 4, 2017
- UN-Habitat joins forces with partners to address living housing needs of refugees, migrants
Berlin, 04 July 2017– In order to address the rising tide of refugees and migrants over the years, UN-Habitat co-launched the Mediterranean City-to-City Migration (MC2CM) project that brings together experts and cities to contribute towards improved migration...
- Posted July 4, 2017
- A collaborative partnership approach to affordable housing in Vancouver, Toronto, Portland, and Melbourne – Carolyn Whitzman
Based on comparative research in Melbourne, Toronto, Portland and Vancouver, this lecture will focus on how collaborative partnerships can successfully advocate for, and respond to, affordable housing programs. MP3 AUDIO: Carolyn Whitzman – A collaborative partnership approach to...
- Posted June 27, 2017