- Harnessing Sport as an Economic Force for Urban Development
- Qatar Ambassador Jabor Bin Ali Al-Dosari and UN-Habitat Executive Director hold...
- International urbanization experts meet in Nairobi to discuss urban modern law
- UN-Habitat and partners inaugurate second community garden in Gaza Strip
- UN-Habitat Egypt to develop RAS EL HEKMA Waterfront new city in Egypt
- Time to create safe spaces for the young generation of Kenyans
- International planning experts promote Planning Guidelines in Japan and China
- Improving Public Transport Services for Women: A Story from Cairo
- Namibian habitat committee visits UN-Habitat
- Urban experts and practitioners trained in monitoring SDG 11 indicators
All posts by Jeanette Elsworth
- Edmonton conference bridges gap between climate change science and practice
Edmonton, 8 March 2018 – A conference convened by the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) and co-organised by UN-Habitat has, for the first time, put the science behind climate change in cities at the centre of...
- Posted March 12, 2018
- Ms. Maimunah Mohd Sharif of Malaysia elected new Executive Director of UN-Habitat
Following nomination by the Secretary-General, the General Assembly, on 22 December 2017, elected Maimunah Mohd Sharif of Malaysia as Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat). She succeeds Joan Clos of Spain to whom...
- Posted January 18, 2018
- High level visit puts spotlight on the resilience of young women and men
Nairobi, 30 December 2017 – Canada’s Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, the Honourable Ahmed Hussen, the UN Secretary-General’s Envoy on Youth, Jayathma Wickramanayake, and Sara Hradecky, High Commissioner of Canada to Kenya visited Mathare, one of...
- Posted December 30, 2017
- Government of Japan visits UN-Habitat`s community centre for refugees and host communities
Kalobeyei, 22 December 2017 – UN-Habitat has been supporting integrated refugee and host communities in Turkana County, Kenya with support from the Government of Japan since 2016. After the successful completion of the spatial development framework, UN-Habitat...
- Posted December 22, 2017
- Marking the Role of Youth in Development at the National Youth Conference
22 December 2017 – Over 400 youth selected based on their contributions to peacebuilding and development initiatives, from across Somalia, came together to celebrate what can be achieved when youth are active agents of change and peace...
- Posted December 22, 2017
- WOMEN LEADERS AT THE CENTRE OF CLIMATE ACTION
Bonn, 13 November 2017 – At a day dedicated to cities and climate change, UN-Habitat’s Deputy Executive Director highlighted the importance of engaging women in climate action. The first high-level day of the UN’s COP23 climate change...
- Posted November 14, 2017
- Mayoral commitments on climate action represent nearly 10% of world’s population
Bonn, 12 November 2017 – City commitments to reducing global greenhouse gas emissions announced at the UN climate change summit in Bonn, represent nearly seven million people, or roughly one in every 10 people on the planet....
- Posted November 13, 2017
- Innovative governance celebrated on World Cities Day
Guangzhou, 31 October 2017 – UN-Habitat joined partners around the world in celebrating World Cities Day under the theme Innovative Governance, Open Cities. The global celebration was marked in Guangzhou, China, where Dr Joan Clos, UN-Habitat’s Executive...
- Posted October 31, 2017
- New countries and cities to benefit from low emission development support
Nairobi, 20 October 2017 – The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and ICLEI – Local Governments for Sustainability (ICLEI), are expanding their work on low emission planning to a further four countries. A second phase of...
- Posted October 20, 2017
- UN-Habitat issues occupancy certificates to returnees in Sinuni/Sinjar, Ninewah Governorate
Sinuni, 31 August 2017: To ensure tenure security to Iraqui Yazidi people, UN-Habitat has handed over occupancy certificates for renovated houses to returnees in Sinuni and Sinjar in the Ninewah Governorate. Following the ISIL/Da’ish offensive on Sinjar...
- Posted August 31, 2017
- Song and dance as Japan funded project unites refugees and host community in northern Kenya
Kalobeiyei, Kenya 20 July 2017—Song and dance marked the ceremony where trainees of a Japanese technology were issued with certificates at Kalobeiyei Settlement in Kenya’s Turkana County. Awarding the certificates to the graduates – which was a...
- Posted July 20, 2017
- Philanthropic architect commits to design 12,000 refugee homes in north Kenya
Kalobeiyei, 18 July 2017 – Renowned Japanese architect, Shigeru Ban, has signed an agreement with UN-Habitat to design as many as 12,000 new homes in the Kalobeiyei refugee settlement site in Northern Kenya. Signing the agreement on...
- Posted July 19, 2017
- City Prosperity Initiative featured at Cannes Palais des Festivals, France
Cannes, 16 March 2017 – The success the City Prosperity Initiative (CPI) is reaching new heights with its presentation at the MIPIM, the world’s most prestigious real estate event hosting 25,000 participants this week at the Palais...
- Posted March 16, 2017
- Dates set for UN-Habitat’s Governing Council
Nairobi, 14 February 2017 – The Executive Director of UN-Habitat has issued a statement confirming that the majority of Governing Council members have agreed that the twenty-sixth Governing Council will be celebrated in Nairobi from 8 to...
- Posted February 15, 2017
- Joint Statement between UN-Habitat and OECD
by UN Habitat Deputy Executive Director, Ms Aisa Kirabo Kacyira, and the OECD Development Centre Director, Mr Mario Pezzini, on their commitment to cooperate to address cities’ financing gap The United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and...
- Posted October 20, 2016
- Habitat III opens with calls for commitment, implementation of the NUA
Quito, 17 October 2016 – Making the New Urban Agenda a cornerstone of participatory, integrated and sustainable urban development is the core message from the opening of Habitat III, the United Nations Conference on Housing and Sustainable Urban...
- Posted October 19, 2016
- Women promote inclusion in New Urban Agenda in first session of Habitat III
Quito, 15 October 2016 – The Women Assembly brought together grassroot women, gender champions, representatives from civil society, academia, international organisations and UN agencies to discuss the empowerment of women, gender equality and the New Urban Agenda....
- Posted October 16, 2016
- Medellin Collaboration expands commitment to resilience beyond 4,000 cities
Nairobi, 13 October 2016 – It has been twenty-seven years since the United Nations General Assembly felt the urgency to call for an International Day for Disaster Reduction; established with the long-term objective of raising global awareness...
- Posted October 14, 2016
- Indigenous peoples call for a seat at the urban table
Otavalo, Ecuador, 13 October 2016 – With just days to go until the opening of the Habitat III conference in Quito, stakeholders have come to together to discuss the importance of including indigenous peoples, and especially youth...
- Posted October 13, 2016